"E" following ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Boca, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Boca macrumors 6502

Hi, at home using wireless network. It's work in past but now I get an "E" replacing the 3g. What does this mean? How can I re connect to the wireless home net?

I was trying to use Skype and it will not work via 3g obviously so I discovered this when trying to set up the wi fi.
    thanks for any advice and help.
    Love the iphone.

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

E stands for Edge. To connect to your wifi go into the settings app and then the wifi section.

3. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

E stands for EDGE, which is the old 2nd generation (2G) wireless standard, i.e. what 3G networks are now replacing. The iPhone 3G can work on both types, though 3G will be much faster and allows you to use both data and voice at the same time, although it tends to consume more power. If you're in an area with 3G and your phone is on EDGE, you either turned off 3G (turn it on in Settings>General>Network), you're in a spot with bad 3G coverage, or something is wrong with the cell tower you're connected to.

If you are connected to your home WiFi network, you should see a symbol that looks like 3 concentric semi-circles in place of the 3G or EDGE icons.

4. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info and fast reply. Love the iphone and this forum. :)