E(G)mail help/options needed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Julien, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have a rare premium Hotmail account with my own domain name (xx @johndoe.com). This was a special MS offered for a short time a few years ago). Since the 5.3 update the HTTPMAIL push no longer works. I tried the fix found here but it doesn't work for me (possibly because of my domain name (xx @johndoe.com instead of xx @hotmail.com). What are my options to get my Mail working? Is there a way for me to "get" control of my domain name (I now pay a company in Australia called Melbourne IT but my mail still goes to a Hotmail account).

Can Hotmail forward my email somewhere that can be then POP loaded to Mail?

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Your first stop should be Melborne IT. You should be able to change your mail forwarding preferences, and you may even be able to use their own Webmail service. I suggest you give their support line a buzz.

Failing that, hotmail does have options to forward email to another address, for example Gmail which supports pop3.

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I set up a Gmail account and have it set for POP and sending to Mail. However Hotmail wont let me forward to my Gmail account. When I typed my Gmail address in the forwarding box I get the following message.

"You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again."

Is there something I'm doing wrong? What is a custom domain?

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Strange... I have mine forwarding to Gmail. Maybe they've changed the rules since?

5. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Not sure how you did it but I found a way but it's not pretty. I found that I could use IzyMail to push my Hotmail to my iphone (which I was already using) and to Gmail, then Gmail to push it to my Mail program.

6. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I think that I can forward to Gmail because I set it up when I had a Hotmail Premium account. Didn't realise. I am pretty sure it's not Premium anymore, but who knows!