Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
I just got my iPhone replaced last night by Apple, and I'm having some minor annoyances. It came with 1.1.2 pre-installed, which I never installed on my previous phone, so I'm not sure if my problems derive from hardware or software, and I want to ask your experience.

My iPhone's E symbol for Edge sometimes disappear, and shows just the rectangle (solid blue or white depending on the screen). Is anyone else experiencing this?

Even though I have double tap Home button set to phone controls, it sometimes goes to iPod controls (I know it's supposed to do that when iPod is playing, but it does this when nothing is playing in iPod). Strange.

Also, my girlfriend has an iPhone too (1.1.2), and sometimes when she is using the included earphone/mic to answer the call, I can't hear her, but she can hear me fine. Her earphone is working since I can get her voicemails left with it fine, and she can listen to music on it. Do you know if there's some bug that the mic doesn't register with the phone depending on how you answer the call (i.e. answer with the phone and not the earphone button, plug in the earphone as phone is ringing, etc)?

I'm hoping these are software problems as I really don't want to go through the process of getting my phone replaced again.

Thanks for any help!

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
After the 1.1.2 update, I too experience the E missing from the Blue Box. I really don't know what that symbolizes, perhaps that it has edge reception and is connecting? It usually goes back to the box with the E in it fairly quickly, though. I honestly don't know, but at least you're not alone...

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
If by rectangle you mean this -
ituneswifimusicstore_1188951728s.png
, that's the wifi symbol. The E disappears when you're connected to wifi, it's blue when it has full signal, partially white when it has partial signal. It's normal.

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
, that's the wifi symbol. The E disappears when you're connected to wifi, it's blue when it has full signal, partially white when it has partial signal. It's normal.

Hey, thanks for the response.

But no, I'm not mistaking the wifi symbol for the Edge symbol. What I'm saying is that sometimes (obviously when not connected to wifi), the rectangle with the "E" in it turns to a solid rectangle without the "E." Not really a big deal, but since this is my third iPhone in 5 days, I'm just trying to make sure it's not a hardware problem (although this specific problem I highly doubt is a hardware issue).

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Thanks guys!

So the E problem is sorted out. It's good to know that I'm not alone. :)

How about the earphone and home button problem? Anyone experiencing those?

londondude

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
I assumed that the blue square means you have edge connection but the E means you have a strong connection?

I get the blue box in my house but in central London I get the full E all the time.

londondude

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007

er thanks that explains why i get the E when not in my house (wifi connection at home).

Macgic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
no E or rectangle.....

I upgraded to 1.1.2 and since then i cant connect to edge. i have full bars then a at&t logo but no edge. i used to get edge everywhere before upgrading, but now i never get it.

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
I upgraded to 1.1.2 and since then i cant connect to edge. i have full bars then a at&t logo but no edge. i used to get edge everywhere before upgrading, but now i never get it.

Have you tried restoring your phone?

Or is this a widespread 1.1.2 problem?

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Yeah I think its in the manual, downloadable from apple's site. Don't quote me on that tho! I've heard it elsewhere too.

Thanks for that suggestion. I checked it out, and this is the case. Box with E is Edge, and solid Box is GPRS. The information is on pages 15 and 16 of the iPhone manual downloadable from apple site (Link is PDF).

One issue gone (well, it wasn't an issue at all :p).

No one is experiencing the home button acting weird, or the mic just not working?

Also earlier today, after I ended a call, the screen went black with a tiny white dot in the middle, and it didn't respond to any touch or button input for a few seconds.... After which it returned to normal. Usually I wouldn't bug out about things like this too much (I know there's software behavior inconsistencies), but since I've had this thing already replaced twice, I want to make sure the hardware part of the unit is fine before my 14 days is up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.