E-ink hybrid screen on the iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mactumors, Sep 3, 2012.

1. mactumors, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

mactumors macrumors 6502

I have a source who tells me that the iPad mini will have an e-ink/lcd hybrid display that could switch between being backlit and not. Ala: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/04/apple-patent-hybrid-display/

Does anybody know if this kind of technology is fit for production? And does anybody know if this rumor has been reported anywhere else?

I've never received any info from this source before and personally I doubt it's true. I'm just wondering if it would be technically plausible or if anyone else has heard similar.

2. JeremyWesley macrumors newbie

of course

I believe it. Its the only thing that makes sense to me. Apple has a patient to do it too..

REF: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/08/apple-exploring-e-ink-video-hybrid-displays-for-iphone/

its the last market that the iPad is having a problem in, ebooks, and ebook readers win because of e-ink screens. if you could have an iPad that was an iPad and a ebook, its a win win. would kill all other tablets.

I'm guessing the reason it has not made it into the main rumor mill is because its the #1 surprise for the event tomorrow. but the ebook devices sure are trying to get people to buy their devices before the mini is announced. lots of kindle commercials..

The idea is not new, I think it was nvidia that showed a tablet before the iPad was introduced that had similar technology, not sure if it ever made it into production.

We will see tomorrow..

3. Yr Blues, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

Yr Blues macrumors 68020

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that this screen will be on the iPad mini.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I doubt it. Who has this technology ready and the ability to have produced large numbers of them for the last several months?