E-MAC g4 1.25 booting issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by leeroy73, Aug 13, 2010.

1. leeroy73 macrumors newbie

Hi there , firstly im new to this forum, and my knowlage of mac's is very little , however i am a pc hardware technician. Ive picked up a Emac usb 2.0 power mac 2006 , 1.25 , 256 memory and 80 gig harddrive.

I've got various versions of Os x CD'S ,DVD'S : PANTHER, JAGUAR, TIGER. none seem to want to boot.

originally it didnt have a harddrive, so i installed a Maxor 80 gig one, and set the jumper setting to .cs. i also upgraded the memory to 512. Tried booting from cd and i get to the apple logo the the no entry sign everytime i try all cd's. I've accesed the open firmware and reset nvram, ive pulled the cmos battery and left it out for 10 mins, ive tried god knows how many harddives and memory modules! still get the same error...... ive also tried the pmu reset ( the 3 chime thingy ) still the same. Couls someone shed some light as to whats going on? as i said im new, but i am enjoying the learning curve of apple mac's. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Leeroy

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

hmmm first "cs" i asume you mean cable select , and i asume there is the problem as i have 3 eMac 1.42 models which are basically identical

the harddrive are set as MASTER in all of them
    the optical drive is Master on one model with superdrive (dvd rw dl) and slave on the other , on the combo model i have its set to Master too so setting everything to master should work fine , if it doesn't set the optical to slave

3. leeroy73 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, thanks for the quick response! i have tried setting the harddrive as master,,, but i still get the same no entry sign, are you suggesting setting the cd/dvd drive as slave then harddrive as master? usually as a pc set up would be via I.D.E. Thanks , i'll try.

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes a pc would have the harddrive as master and the optical as slave , as the older pc with ide bus only had one ide bus , but the eMac is not a pc and has 2 of them , thats why you can set both as master
    so once rejumpered , put in the operating system disc ( tiger as thats i think best for eMac's ) restart the eMac and hold down the ALT key at the same time so long until you see both the operating system disc and the harddrive on the screen then select the operating system disc and it should boot from the disc , assuming the dvd drive is still working proper as they are known to fail and that it has a dvd drive inside as some eMacs for education market only came with a cdrw drive which for obvious reasons cant read dvd's ( thats why apple sold for a while cd versions of their OS x tiger which are rare now and sought after )

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

forgot to mention some optical drives need to be set as slaves for reasons unknown to me ,in order to boot from ,while others work fine as master

6. leeroy73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, ive set the cd to slave, now it says cant open disc. gone into firmware and typed eject cd , still says the same, could i put a dvd rw dl drive in it? Ok , ive got the harddrive set as master and the optical set as slave. ( using the original optical ) im at a blueish screen , on the left i have a curved arrow, in the middle i have mac os x disc, and to the right i have a arrow pointing right, i clicked the arrow which points right,,, cd kicked in and went to the apple logo, the straight to the no entry sign again. i also tried clicking the os x disc icon but nothing happens. This is with the tiger os disc in teh drive.

7. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

8. leeroy73 thread starter macrumors newbie

No , i havent got grey ones, i borrowed some discs of a friend, ive heard that some mac's have to use certain tyes of installation disks? still at the point where it hangs on the apple logo, cd tries to read... then gets to that entry sign again, please not i have taken an old dvd rom from a older mac to see if that woudl help.

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

How long did you wait before shutting down the system at the light gray screen with the dark gray apple in the middle? It takes some time...

And,
    [​IMG]
    This is the boot media selector. You have to click on the hard drive you want to boot, and then click ➡ to actually boot it. With the curved arrow, you reload the disks, to show up a new CD/DVD in case you swapped it.
    You get that by pressing and holding the Option (⌥) key and then pushing the power button. If you press and hold "C" and fire it up, it boots from CD/DVD.

10. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

In matter of jumpers setting, you can safely set optical to CS, I got USB 2.0 eMac and it works with no probs - boots from CD/DVD and HDD (I assume that's factory setting).

If you're getting "no entry" sign, it could be:
    - wrong OS install disc (you've mentioned that you got borrowed gray discs from other machine)
    - hardware problem - look for bad caps on logic board and PSU. It was known issue with 1.25 GHz eMacs. See here for details.

11. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

another thought i found that some optical /harddrives you have to hold them upside down in oder to jumper them the right way because the lables are actually the wrong way round