E-mail alerts when locked?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by baxlobs, Jul 7, 2016.

1. baxlobs macrumors regular

My wife would like her iPad to sound an alert for new e-mail when it is locked. At present she has to open it up and access the Mail program before she gets an alert, by which time she can see there are new messages anyway!

We have looked at all the various options and cannot see anything that would make this work, she knows it is possible because she has 2 friends whose iPads do alert even when locked.

Any ideas please?

It is definitely NOT in Sleep mode.

2. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

Settings > General > Notifications > Mail (have to scroll down till you see it) > tap 'show in notification centre' and also tap 'show on lock screen'.

Also make sure fetch is on for every 15 minutes so that it checks them almost all the time if she gets a lot (every hour or any of the other options if not). To do this:

Settings > (scroll down) Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch new data > Set fetch to the every 15 minutes/30 minutes etc> Gmail/outlook/hotmail (whatever email she has) > set it to fetch

3. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Eva,

Many thanks, that seems to have done the trick. I think we had tried both those settings, but NOT AT THE SAME TIME!!

Anyway she is happy and that is important right now as it is our 50th Anniversary tomorrow.:)

4. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

Happy anniversary for tomorrow :) my grandparents celebrated their 45th anniversary almost a week ago (a week ago tomorrow)