E-mail brawl: Steve Jobs vs Journalism College student

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by ConceptVBS, Sep 17, 2010.

1. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

He's pissed she's using a Blackberry instead of an iPhone.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That woman has an unjustifiably large sense of entitlement.

Besides, she obviously stinks at jourtnalism. If I was her I would have lied to Apple and told them I was calling from Forbes , Reuters or the Wall Street Journal. How else do you think smaller news sources get info? ;)

I find the "dear Santa"-esque emails to Jobs amusing though.

3. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I do somewhat enjoy these types of back-and-forth email discussions/arguments between Steve and a random person. Most are quite entertaining. I like the fact that Steve even bothers.
    Having said that, the person who is arguing with Steve (IMO), has some damn nerve releasing this to the online media. I think this one in particular tried to antagonize Steve but hardly had a point. Sure, you might say Steve has no class or is being crass and short. I don't see it like that. What is a little low class, is releasing this to the media. She's trying to make Steve seem like he doesn't care about his customers. Waaaaaa... Booo-hooo... Get over it, babe.

It's like anyone who gets into it with Steve is a witness at a crime scene.

Again, it is entertaining. So I'm not complaining about reading this sort of thing. Just not agreeing with her point of view. Like Lord Backadder said, she feels entitled.

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Oh please, Steve a victim ? Really RawBert, you're gonna make us all cry. :rolleyes:

Steve knows when he replies to these e-mails that it's going to be all over the tech blogs. He's not dumb. I bet he expects it.

Now, of course she was wrong, Apple PR doesn't have to respond to every "journalist" that wants a quote if they don't feel like quoting. That's why sometimes stories get published and just say "Apple has yet to respond to our request for comment". Maybe she should read a paper once in a while.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

She’s going to have a hell of time in the world of journalism if she expects every one of her “sources" to respond to her request for comment.

That’s why they call it a request.

Then again she probably posted this entire thing in order to generate internship or job offers from tabloids like Valleywag. Maybe she’s smarter than we all are giving her credit for. :D

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think Steve handled this idiot well. I'm surprised.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Seems that way.

How many CEOs would answer a request like this in the first place, let alone honestly? While SJ was curt with her, I think he was also giving her a life lesson at the same time.

8. macfan881 macrumors 68020

out of all the places of tech sites why am I not surprised I saw this on Gawker/Gizmodo still acting like 2 year old's.

9. macfan881 macrumors 68020

you buy it of of them from what they find at a bar. :D

10. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

This quote sums it up right here "I'm a completely self-absorbed unemployed egomaniac who has made it thru daddy and the wonders of high interest student loans who does not understand that in the real world, real people making lots of money have real jobs and are really really busy.":

"Now, can they kindly respond to my request (my polite and friendly voice can be heard in the first 5 or 10 messages in their inbox). Please, I am on deadline."

Here is a good comment I found elsewhere:

"1) as others have called out "sent via blackberry"

2) no you are not a customer see above.

3) no you are not a customer calling about a problem, you are a journalist calling for a quote. If you plan on being a journalist you need to understand how to asses your role in a situation.

4) you current problem is that of your role as a journalist, not as a customer of APPL.

5) you have offloaded your problem to now be someone else's problem. Your problem of getting a B is everyone else's fault but not your own.

6) the two worst millennial qualities were loud and clear: entitlement perspective and lack or accountability for one's own problems."

11. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

How does owning a BlackBerry make you not a customer of Apple? She may as well own/use a Mac, iPod, iPad e.t.c

Owning an iPod touch, an iMac and various Apple peripherals, software and using iTunes to purchace music, am I not an Apple customer because I use a different smart phone platform?

The definition of a customer is being rewritten here it seems.

12. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Well, she can ride these 15 minutes of fame into a career now. She did her homework: in modern journalism, it's not about reporting a story. It's about being PART OF the story. The decline of Western civilization continues.

13. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I lol'd at these.

one thing I find funny they post all these interactions, post "sjobs" email but always block their own out...awww c'mon now...

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

After her sixth request to Apple "Media" Relations and her first request to Jobs' email, a RESPONSIBLE journalist would have written "Apple was unavailable for comment." She descended to tabloid techniques, baiting the "interviewee" and reporting on the interaction.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Note to journalism student: Company PR departments are not there to serve the media. The media are there to serve company PR departments.

16. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Wow, Amazing brawl there :rolleyes:

He didn't need to even reply though.

Although he could at least reply to my 'Apple TV looks awesome and would be even more awesome with Facetime' email :(

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This be the truth of the matter.

18. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I concur. And I'm not saying that as an Apple fanboy; rather, it seems she wants the world to come to her, and dislikes being told it won't.

19. brodie macrumors member

More terse replies from Steve Jobs

http://m.guardian.co.uk/?id=102202&.../sep/20/steve-jobs-emails-journalist-response

Steve is apparently back on form....

20. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

21. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I call fake.

He's a master at PR; I doubt he would ever say please leave us alone, he would simply decline to reply.

That said, if this WAS him, I'd commend it. It's nice to see a fresh face of realism and honesty in the corporate world, instead of constant PR-aware, overly sappy, neutral responses that skirt the point and seek to minimize any potential damage in the sake of professionalism and PR.

Of course that's assuming he wrote it, which he didn't. Either she faked it for her grade, or Gizmodo is just trying to keep their visitors up.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Hell yeah he is, telling people they're holding the phone the wrong way. BRILLIANT PR.
    :rolleyes:

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think the most interesting thing about this is that she attends CW Post on Long Island..:rolleyes:

24. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Job's is an egotist. The usually only replies to offload on someone and make them feel small, so he can feel big. When you see him beside Gates for example, Gates always appears like a man contended, secure. Jobs doesn't look comfortable unless he's on stage by himself, or dictating to someone.

I was cringing when Jobs was at that California gig beside other big personalities - he definitely didn't look comfortable. Was sat there fidgeting and squirming.. really terrible.

If he wasn't CEO of Apple, anyone with any maturity would snub him because of his personality.