E-mail by voice recognition

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Scott549, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Scott549 macrumors regular

I have found the Google voice search to be a very valuable feature that I use on my 4th generation iPod Touch. It would be a very good feature to be able to use this to dictate e-mail messages rather than using the keypad. Does anyone know whether there is a way to do this, or if not, whether iOS 6 will include this feature?

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

You will be able to do this in iOS 6 on the 5th gen iPod touch, but on the 4th gen there isn't anything you can do on a vanilla iOS.

BUT: I have heard that if you jailbreak you can enable Siri on the iPod, which may enable dictation, and I imagine that there may be other jailbreak dictation solutions. How well these would work on the slower processor of the 4th gen, I cannot say.

3. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I just bought it to test it, and I have to say, if you are using it largely for emails, then it should work well for you! You may have to double check it though -- it had a couple errors my first try, but now it seems to work great if I go a little slower --

The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog -- good

This is a test to see how well this would work as a dictation application for using e-mails -- good

Color me impressed! It appears to be using Nuance, the same recognition engine that helps power Siri.

Two things to note though -- it won't have the convience of Apple's solution, and it does send what ever you say to a 3rd party server for conversion to text. There is no telling what may happen to your data.

4. Scott549 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - I will probably give this a try sometime this week.

5. Scott549 thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded a free app called Vlingo. It works pretty well. You can dictate text and then convert it to an e-mail message. Not quite ideal, though; what I would like is the microphone icon on the keypad for composing and responding to e-mails.

Edit to add -- I did upgrade to iOS 6; unfortunately, it does not have this feature built in.