e-mail migration

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lucion, May 3, 2008.

1. Lucion macrumors newbie

Greetings.

I will be purchasing a new Mac soon (my first ever) and there are a few questions I hope that you pros can answer for me today and possibly in the future.

As a long-time Windows user I am looking forward to making the switch. My main concern is with transferring my e-mail. I currently use Eudora 6.2 for Windows and would like to transfer my existing mail to the Mac. Are there any tools that you can recommend to make this as painless as possible? My mail dates back to 1998 (wow, I just realized how long ago that is!) and I would like to keep it. I know I can probably run the old program using Parallels or Fusion, but obviously I would like to use a Mac-native e-mail app.

Any suggestions for migrating my old e-mail? How about a good e-mail program?

Not to make this post too long, but does anybody here run Opera on the Mac? I am curious if it is possible to just copy the settings from install (on Windows) to another (on OSX).

Thank you very much for your assistance.

2. vpetersson macrumors newbie

I'd recommend Apple Mail as email client. It has a few drawback (such as problem handling large archives of messages), but stacks up pretty well compared to the competition (Thunderbird, Entourage etc.).

As far as your problem goes -- are the messages stored remotely using IMAP? If so, all you need to do is to set up Apple Mail to point to that.

If not, you can probably export to a standardized archive (eg. mbox) from Eudora and just import that directly into Apple Mail (works with most other clients too).

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I might say that Apple Mail is one of the least-bad Apple apps.

Here are some instructions on Importing Eudora mailboxes. You'll need to copy the folder with your emails to the Mac first though.

4. harv822 macrumors newbie

harv822

A painless migration from PC Eudora to Apple Mail

There is a donate-ware program called Eudora Mailbox Cleaner. Yes, the name is strange. But it does everything: preserves message status (new, forwarded, replied, etc.), re-attaches attachments, even migrates filters.

I used it recently to migrate 230 Eudora mailboxes with about seven years of mail.

See more info at

http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Eudora_Mailbox_Cleaner.html

It's also listed at VersionTracker. A revision came out recently.

5. Lucion thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the replies. It turns out that migrating everything to my Mac was much easier than I had feared.

It has been a while, so I can't recall for certain, but I know Apple's Mail program was able to easily import my Eudora e-mail. I might have used the same utility that harv mentioned. I was then, as he said, able to keep my folder structure, filters, and address book. I had to move some things around, but this was simple once the data had been moved.

I also found that the data files I needed for my Opera preferences (keychain logins, bookmarks, etc.) were pretty much the same. I just had to find the right directories to place them in.

I've been using the Mac for nearly a year and couldn't be happier!

6. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

lol...i'm glad you were able to get everything working, but i don't think the previous posters realized this thread was a year old!