E-mail notification... when, how? (or some hack)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by penava, Nov 29, 2010.

1. penava macrumors newbie

I have IPhone 3G for almost 2 years now, and I am planning to buy new Iphone4, but I miss one thing.... I really miss it... desperately :( :( :(

That thing is one small, mail notification. Ok, you will say it exists as badge, but you have to unlock phone and look see if mail is received. SMS, and missed calls (Facebook, ...), for example comes as nice pop-up window, and I don't know why this feature don't exist for e-mail...

I saw, there are some mail client apps that has pop-up, but they support only POP and Gmail protocol, and I use my company's Exchange server with push.

Is there any app (could be from Cydia, I have no problem with jailbraking device) which enables this small but important feature?

I've written mail to Apple to include this feature in next iOS release, but so far nothing.

I hope you will understand me, because my english is not very good

2. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

There is a "emal notifier" in Cydia... I used it for a while, it showed a small mail icon up on the bar (right from the battery indicator). I forgot its name but its possible to have something like that.

3. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

4. mtulbert macrumors newbie

The Program that Constantine is referring to is called Reminder. Works great BTW, but you do need to be jailbroken.

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I use LockInfo (Cydia) for a similar function.

Instead of a badge, it organizes anything outstanding (notifications, missed calls, SMS & unread emails) in a list that's displayed on your lock screen. Just mash a button, see if anything is new. No need to unlock. You can even set it to hide empty sections, so if there's nothing new, then the lockscreen looks fairly normal (although I've added lockinfo weather so mine displays the current temp & weather under the clock)

It works great, and is worth the few dollars it costs.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Notifier+ works very well too. I love it. But, again, you need to be jailbroken in order to use it. Shows icons on your home screen for mail, calls, sms and events. Great buy.

7. critic81 macrumors regular

Just get Boxcar. It provides you with a push notification for new emails, and it's free. I've been using it forever!

8. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

set your mail to push and make sure new mail is set to make a sound under sound options

my theory is you are being cheap and want to use e-mail like text messaging

can't imagine any other reason you would need to check your email every second

9. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

I also use Boxcar. It works well for notifications once everything is set up.

10. penava thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try software you all mentioned, thank you very much, all of you!!

I hope Apple will include this option in future... :)

@ItsJustafnPhone: I am not trying to be cheap, I don't know where do you live, but in my country (Croatia) SMS had become very cheap, there are tariff plans with completely free of charge SMS, so I'll use it if I'll need, and I don't need text messages, I need e-mail. With notifications :)

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Notifications pop-ups are of no interest to me. I'd like a RED LED light that flashes on the top of the phone.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This is what Apple wants people to do. It's why they didn't support MMS until iOS 3.0

Perhaps as the OP mentions, they want it for business?:

Microsoft and RIM are making loads of money from companies that want push email. Apple sells MobileMe with this as the poster feature.

It's anything but cheap.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That is something I miss from my HTC phone, but notifications would be a start.