E-Mail on PAYG O2 iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HeavenDivine, Jul 16, 2008.

1. HeavenDivine macrumors member

If you are upgrading to 3G and you put a PAYG sim card in your old iPhone, does e-mail work now?

2. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Yes, if:
    1) It was originally an O2 iPhone (US iPhones are still locked to AT&T only)
    2) You have the £7.50 add-on for data (trust me, you wouldn't want to pay £3/MB!)
    3) You have filled out this form to install all the correct settings on the SIM (I think you need to keep the SIM in another phone until this has happened).

3. ginguar macrumors regular

I think it's actually £10 for the iPhone bolt-on unless they have dropped the price, I looked a couple of days ago when I was selling my old phone.

4. HeavenDivine thread starter macrumors member

What about EDGE? I know that before the 3G launch PAGY customers could not use the EDGE data service, only GSM which was MEGA slow!

5. ifirth macrumors member

Just came across this thread... are you saying that Pay as go IS working on O2. ie ... can I go and buy a Pay as you go SIM and put it into my old 2G iphone and it will make calls?

6. sibruk macrumors 6502a

My understanding of it is that the new connection profile (or rather APN) that is installed is the one that uses EDGE where possible.

Yes, you can use a PAYG O2 SIM in a 1st Gen iPhone, but make sure you fill out that form in my earlier post. What you can't do at the moment is buy a new 3G iPhone and put PAYG on that.

And re: the £10/£7.50 thing, I'm pretty sure they announced it was going to be £7.50. Trying to find info...

EDIT: Hmm, it specifically says £10/month here on the iPhone pages. But it looks like, in reality, you might be able to either add on the £10 "iPhone" bolt on for EDGE+WiFi or a £7.50 bolt on just for EDGE data. I guess it depends how important the Cloud/BTopenzone part is to you.