Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Hi,

For about two to three month i get every day two or three mails from random name/mail adress combinations with random mail subjects (like: Bab Foster [nlj@cccssdic.org], Subject: overthrown inspired). They contain investment recommendations for junk stocks as image so that you can't filter them for text. So far it was limited to my work mail adress.

Now i got a similar one on my apple mail account.:eek:

This seriously sucks.:mad:

Does anybody know how to successful filter that crap?

And who the heck pays for sending them out. I can't imagine it's the companies itself because they can be tracked. I rather think it's a group of daytraders who try to hype a stock so that they can make a few bucks.

But who is dumb enough to buy penny stocks advertized by e-mail spam?

Isn't there a way to get those guys and beat them up and lock them up for live or boil them in oil or so?

Spammers really suck.:mad:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
All it takes is a handful of suckers to make a spammer's subject-matter work.
If a million people successfully get the spam and 1% actually opens it, reads it, and follows it..

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
andiwm2003 said:
Does anybody know how to successful filter that crap?
The junk mail filter in Outlook 2003 catches these messages without any difficulty. I don't know if the same is true for the filter in Entourage 2004, but it might be.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
clayj said:
The junk mail filter in Outlook 2003 catches these messages without any difficulty. I don't know if the same is true for the filter in Entourage 2004, but it might be.

my outlook at work filter only catches a third of them. and on my mac account i use mail.

usually our provider at work filters spam quite successfully. but this junk stock spam gets through.

oh, i hate those guy's. i wish them two broken arms and itching hemorrhoids so that they can't scratch......................

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Mail didn't catch the first few of the recent binge I've seen over the last week or so, but it's nabbing them all now for me.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
These spam messages were the first to find their way to one of my email addresses, which I THOUGHT I had been very careful about giving out. I guess it could just be a brute force attack on my domain, but I'm not happy regardless. I, too, get 2-3 per day. Right now, I just keep marking them as junk and deleting them. I'm sure Mail would catch them if I set up my junk mailbox, but I just really don't want to resort to that. ):

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
I've seen a few of those penny-stock emails in the last week, but not enough to really piss me off. Actually, what's really irking me are the blank spam emails I've been getting lately. No subject, no content, no images. Nothing. Thankfully, Mail catches them all and labels them accordingly, so getting rid of them would just be a matter of telling Mail to automatically delete all junk mail.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It's tough to filter on title or sender because the spammers can randomize both.

Check with your ISP to see if they have a spam rating service -- these typically assign a numerica estimate (1 - 10 or 1 - 100) of how spammish the email is, depending on an analysis of the content and/or sending servers, and then append a line to the header like : X-SpamRating = 8. You can then filter for a value of greater than X in the ISP's header entry.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
I was getting the same spam emails using an image instead of text, but after using Junkmatcher (which amongst other things creates three rules in Mail preferences) and marked each spam as Junk, with in three days they are no more.

nived

macrumors member
May 15, 2006
Dallas-ish
Just as I opened this thread, Notes chimes in and alerts me that I have a new memo! Guess what it is? That's right, some penny stock is about to go down in history and I must get in on it now... this is the first one I've gotten at work before. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.