Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sad but true

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
I havent received any email on my macbook pro since 10th Dec, but email still coming to iPhone.
I can still send.
I haven't changed anything
Cheers

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You need to provide some details.

What email app, what is your smtp settings, are they the same for the phone and Mac. Did you verify that they're the same.

Did you try to send yourself an email from your mac? Can your mac access the internet - maybe its a network issue.

Do you see any connection errors/issues with your email app when starting it up

sad but true

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
You need to provide some details.

What email app, what is your smtp settings, are they the same for the phone and Mac. Did you verify that they're the same.

Did you try to send yourself an email from your mac? Can your mac access the internet - maybe its a network issue.

Do you see any connection errors/issues with your email app when starting it up

Mac 5.1
smtp settings are the same as they were before my last email was received and yes same as phone.
I did send myself an email and got it on phone, I'm on the internet there is no network problem.
No error messages
Will send but no emails received

sad but true

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Your iPhone might be deleting the emails from the server when it reads them. Then when you fire up the Mac, it can't see them anymore.

possible, but all has been fine for last 3 years.

----------

Iv'e just checked on line account. All emails are there.
something not right with mac mail

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Did you enable the firewall recently and have blocked the incoming port???

Did you try deleting the account and recreating on the Mac?

sad but true

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011

----------

Iv'e just checked on line account. All emails are there.
something not right with mac mail

OK I set up iCloud on 29th November. everything fine until i realise hadn't had email on mac since 10th December.
I just sent an email to my @me.com address and it came through

----------

Did you enable the firewall recently and have blocked the outgoing port???

Did you try deleting the account and recreating on the Mac?
I haven't set up any firewall

I will try and delete it and start again

Thanks

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Have you tried taking the account offline in the Mail app and then taking it back online. That will reinitialize the account and sometimes fixes connectivity problems.

sad but true

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Have you tried taking the account offline in the Mail app and then taking it back online. That will reinitialize the account and sometimes fixes connectivity problems.

Thanks.
found that my account was offline for some reason, don't know how that happened

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes they will go offline if connectivity is lost and not reconnect (they usually reconnect on their own, but sometimes need a little help). I find it weird that it gave no notification of it being offline. Usually they show a gray filled circle with a tilde in it, and this means the account is offline>

sad but true

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes they will go offline if connectivity is lost and not reconnect (they usually reconnect on their own, but sometimes need a little help). I find it weird that it gave no notification of it being offline. Usually they show a gray filled circle with a tilde in it, and this means the account is offline>

Thanks again guys

Mac5.1 mail

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.