Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thomamon, Dec 1, 2008.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I got my iPhone tonight and I am curious, it automatically synched my e-mail with the iPhone. How can I set it to check it every so often and notify me when there is a new e-mail?

Thanks!

2. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

What is the difference between Fetch and Push?

4. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

push is a "constant" search for some email clients, i leave it off, others dont. fetch just goes by the increment u select below

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Push is mainly for MobileMe. I think gmail has push too. Fetch basically checks in with the server 15/30/45/etc minute intervals.

If you have a ISP email than you won't have push more than likely.

6. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

My blackberry always checked for mail and it came in pretty consistently. So there is really no way to match that with the iPhone? I don't mind, just curious.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well blackberrys have push. It's the same thing. So chances are if you had push before you'll have it again. Just make sure Push is enabled.

You can test it by sending yourself an email instantly on the computer, and seeing if it pops up in the iPhone. If it doesn't show up within a few seconds, then you don't have push. But regardless fetch is still pretty quick for being every 15 minutes.

8. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

It seems to pop up if i go to the e-mail application? Not if I am on the main screen of the iPod. Is that correct?

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It should pop up on the main screen right away. Every time you open the mail client it checks for emails automatically.

Just disable push then, and set fetch to 15 minutes. You should be good to go. :cool:

10. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Thank you!

Also, if the screen is black if you get an e-mail does it notify you by vibrating or something there is a new e-mail?

11. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes. If you have vibrate on, it will vibrate when you get a new email. If you have the sound on , it will make a new mail noise as well.

12. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be using PUSH at all for my e-mail, where as the Blackberry did. Very odd! I e-mailed myself before going to bed and as of this morning there is no notification that there is new e-mail.

13. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

MobileMe and Exchange do have Push, maybe you should try that.

14. .adam macrumors regular

Welcome to my world.

15. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

That is not correct.

MobileMe, Exchange and Yahoo have PUSH.

Gmail does not to my knowledge.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I set up a Yahoo email and forwarded my gmail to that address so I could take advantage of the push.

It's sporatic. Sometimes it's pretty quick. Like if I'm having a conversation with somebody on Facebook with comments, they'll come in immediately. Other times I'll open my mail app and a bunch will come piling in with timestamps from hours ago.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You should tell us what kind of e-mail you use. You have an amazing amount of replies from people trying to guess what advice to give you.

That's pretty nice of them, but it means the majority of the advice you've gotten is useless. Which parts? I couldn't say.

Tell us more and you can get better advice.

18. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Oops, I thought I Posted that!

I use POP accounts on a dedicated server of my own. They were copied from Outlook when I synced with iTunes.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, so Push won't be an option for you unless it's something your own server does. If it did, I'd imagine you'd know that.

So your choices are "Manual" which will check whenever you open mail, or "Fetch" which well check based on the time you set. Either 15, 30, or 60 minutes, I think.

If you need push, go back through the thread and find the people who gave the options for that. I think MobileMe and Yahoo are the 2 prime choices at the moment.

20. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

just stay in the mail app and keep tapping refresh

BAM!!! Instant email

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn