e13ctron case - minireview

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bighabeeb, Dec 2, 2010.

1. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Received it this evening - will be doing a vid review over the weekend and taking some pics etc. Got a silver/orange and just wanted to give some first impressions.

In terms of quality, it seems very nice. The case itself is two aluminum halves that get a plastic lining into each and then sandwich together over the phone (so yes, the case is 4 pieces). The case is then held together by 6 allen screws - one in each corner, and one in the middle of each long side. Cut outs are in place for the dock connector, speakers, headphone, power button, volume, and silent switches. On the side with the volume cute outs is the e13ctron S4 logo, milled into the metal - it appears that this bit was left raw so it stands out with a nice silver color.

The case itself is actually quite nice looking. I was a bit concerned about the case when I saw the instructions - it's a full page, however it's a full page with pictures and is actually much simpler then it first looked. If I have one complaint about the installation, it's that the heads of the allen screws are very, VERY shallow: the allen wrench doesn't have much room to get in there, so you really need to lay the phone on a flat surface. It's not hard by any means, but I certainly wouldn't see myself taking the case off and on repeatedly - it took about 3 or 4 minutes of fiddling to get the first screw in, the rest went much more easily. It's certainly not as "user friendly" as the alumacase/atomic/element cases when it comes to installation.

The power button, along with the volume and silent switches are all accessible, though I admit having an external button, at least for the power/sleep button, would be nice - the flush feel found on those other aluminum cases is something that I value rather highly since it's a button I use constantly. Again, not a deal breaker, just a thing that would have been nice to have.

The case does give the phone a very solid feel without adding too terribly much to the bulk of it. I would say its a bit slimmer than the alumacase, though it doesn't seem dissimilar in terms of size.

As far as reception goes, and I want to point out this is based STRICTLY on how things looked: speedtest, fieldtest etc have not been used yet...however I did see my bars go from 3 - 4 down to 2 - 3...potentially of more concern, when on wifi my signal dropped a bar from full, even when sitting only a dozen or so feet from my router. As I type this, I've been watching as the phone sat solidly on 1 bar, with only 2 bars of wifi.

I'll do the full write up/vid review this weekend with some actual numbers to quantify what I'm seeing. I'm hopeful that perhaps the numbers will not be as drastic a drop off as the graphical representation seems to indicate. I really do quite fancy the look of the case: the fact that the bottom APPEARS to be thin enough to work with my dock connectors etc is a big plus. I actually even like the way the logo looks...which is quite saying something as someone who generally prefers as logo-less a look as possible. Overall a very nice looking case, well done over all in terms of look and feel.

2. appleexpert15 macrumors newbie

Been lurking around for a case and honestly wasn't expecting to much from this case anyways. But I look forward to your review. How do you get all these free cases to review? I want a few to try out!! Not this one but there are several others I would like to try out.

3. wylee macrumors newbie

4. bighabeeb thread starter macrumors 6502

Will do.

5. appleexpert15 macrumors newbie

Please do a moving GPS test and see how it does. They all do ok sitting still, its moving that counts.

6. scelzifan macrumors 6502

What is going on with this review? I have been waiting to see how it performs. And to see some pictures also. Any idea of when we will see something?

7. e13-Stone macrumors newbie

8. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Yes sir, just replied back. Forgot to until just now.

9. bighabeeb thread starter macrumors 6502

As soon as I get padi to do them, it will become top priority :p

I work in IT and my company's CEO resigned this weekend so things got pretty crazy: hoping to get it done ASAP - suffice to say, for the moment, that the early reviews (apart from the nitpicky stuff I mentioned previously) are quite good. MInimal reception issues, great look and feel - makes the phone feel a lot more sturdy then it does without the case.

I would still likely put this into the "Fashion case" genre, as a good drop to the front or back wil lstill do some hardcore damage.

10. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Completely understood. I know work comes first and when something like that happens everything goes into panic mode. Hope everything gets sorted out for you there.

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I'm a bit confused. How can the case be quite good when the signals are dropping after putting the case on?

12. bighabeeb thread starter macrumors 6502

Because there's signal dropping, and then theres signal DROPPING

UNlike with some of the others, the drop was minimal enough that my phone was and is still entirely usable (whereas with exovault, alumacase etc it became a paperweight)

It may well be minimal enough to NOT over-ride the positives of the case (looks, feel etc)

13. grnamin macrumors newbie

14. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Honestly, the more I see this case the more I really like the look. I really can't tell by your pictures what color that is but I like it. It looks kinda blue or grey. How are you liking it so far?

15. NancyZ macrumors member

Thanks for the pics. Very nice. How did u get the orange in the logo?

16. grnamin macrumors newbie

It's the dark grey one. So far so good. I stopped using my Element Vapor case just 3 days after receiving it because of signal issues. I've been carrying the hex tool for the S4 in my wallet and whenever possible, I've been removing the case to check if there's any signal degradation. Same signal with the case removed as with the case on.

Thank you. I rubbed a crayon on the logo. :)

17. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Well thank you. Its sounds like this could be a promising case for sure. And the crayon idea is great. I never would have thought of that but it looks great. It really adds a nice contrast of color to the case. Very nice work sir.

18. grnamin macrumors newbie

19. bighabeeb, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

bighabeeb thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the orange front/silver back and it's equally nice looking - trying to find a camera or something I can use to take a photo of it on the phone (am at work at the moment) - it's pretty snazzy.

It also fits nicely over the atomic carbon fiber backing that I have, giving a little additional back protection.

I will need to do signal testing once I get home (I have a microcell in my office) but so far, so good.

Here's a couple photos - they're awful and I finally gave up because the webcam I have here with me is just god awful :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

put TIMG on your pics and use a real cam instead of a webcam. The other poster posted much better pics and its not even his thread.

21. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Wow, those pictures are huge. I had to shrink them down to see the picture's without having to scroll with my mouse. I could be dumb by saying this but it looks like the case is on backwards. The orange side is up in the top picture but the side that has the volume buttons is on the wrong side. And the other picture makes it look like the silver side is up. Is this a allusion by the way the picture was taken or am I just seeing things?

22. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes that cam takes backwards images lol check out the text

You can find more pics of that color tone on Gadgetmac.

23. bighabeeb thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I'm aware of how to take pictures - people asked for them, so I put up what I could right now.

I will post better pictures taken with an actual camera when I have an actual camera on hand.

24. bighabeeb thread starter macrumors 6502

Not seeing things - webcam produces mirror images :p

25. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Well thanks for clearing that up. I thought there for a minute my eyes were playing games with me. The case looks pretty good to me. I am getting the same color so I am pretty exited about it.