e13ctron s5 Case Mini Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kiopoptr877, Nov 15, 2012.

1. kiopoptr877 macrumors newbie

So I got my orange e13ctron s5 case today in the mail after pre-ordering last month. It took just over a month to arrive. I have to say that I definitely feel it was worth the wait. Having owned last year's s4v hybrid, I went with a similar color scheme that I had for my iPhone 4S--orange and black on a white iPhone. Comparing the s5 to last year's s4v for the iPhone 4/4S, I find the construction and quality to be quite similar. The aluminum case really feels solid in hand. Since I got it with the matte finish, it feels very smooth and polished. Holding the case in hand is quite pleasant, actually. Also different from last year's s4v, there are no screws. Instead, the s5 uses a two-piece snap mechanism. First, the plastic liner/bumper-esque part goes onto the phone:

[​IMG]

Next, you place the aluminum bumper on top:

[​IMG]

Then you snap it on. The black liner/bumper sits flush with the aluminum case:

[​IMG]

As far as reception issues go, I am experiencing some signal reduction, but not enough for me to be concerned. Calls, texts, and emails still come through as they usually do, so no real problems to report from me. A quick WiFi speedtest on my home connection:

[​IMG]

Overall, I must say I am pleased with this case, and I thought it was worth it. It isn't for everyone, though, and I understand that. However, I am a fan of these aluminum bumpers, and this case does not disappoint!

Pros:
    • Beautifully Designed Case
    • Great Color Options
    • Screwless Design
    • Quality Construction and Finish

Cons:
    • Price
    • Some Signal Degradation

Score: 4/5 Stars

Attached Files:

2. kiopoptr877 thread starter macrumors newbie

More Images

Just some more images of the case:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. YUOWI Suspended

Overall, I have to say, I'm glad this case, I think it is worth

4. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

Howd u get a case already thats on preorders right now? Or is there website just not updated?

5. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I got one from someone on here that is all black and there is more that a LITTLE signal degradation! It knocked my phone from 4g to 3g and places where I only get 2 bars is now getting no service. Mine lasted about 3 days and off it came! Its a neat design and good looking but kills signal.

6. meihcydna macrumors regular

think it'll still snap on if you have stickers on the side of the iphone?

7. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I loved the feel and quality of my e13ctron cases for my iPhone 4. I noticed a slight signal loss, but no big problem. However, when I started using my phone for GPS I had to change cases. Wonder if the iPhone 5 case affects GPS too much?

8. kiopoptr877, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

kiopoptr877 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have a brushed metal sticker on the middle part of the back. I also had them on the top and bottom parts, but that didn't fit so I just removed them. The liner/bumper thing is a pretty tight fit, so I'm actually not sure if it can accommodate the side stickers.

Yup! Charter 30 Mbps down and a measly 4 Mbps up.

When I had my 4S, I had the s4v hybrid and never had any GPS issues. Odd. I haven't experienced any GPS issues with the s5 yet, though.

9. dudemac333 macrumors newbie

dudemac333

Really great review. The orange really pops with the white iPhone. I might have to add this on my Christmas list from Santa Claus :)

10. Wreckem macrumors member

For the person who asked how the OP got it when it still on pre-order. The people who pre-ordered two months ago finally got their cases this past week.

I ordered a matte aluminum case and was disappointed to find out that because of the liner and the way the case works that its more or less a two tone case as seen in the OPs post. I dont remember it being that way when I ordered the phone.

Fortunately they sent me two cases to make up for the excessive delay in getting the case. Fortunately the matte black case they shipped in addition to my matte aluminum actually looks rather good on a white iphone.

And be careful with the install, its very very easy to break the liner by the headphone jack. Its also incredibliy difficult to get the case off with scratching or breaking the liner.

11. zornet macrumors regular

I've been using the e13ctron cases for several years on my iPhone 4 with great results, other than feeling the need of having more than one of their cases. Up grading to the iPhone 5 it has a no-brainier in ordering e13ctron s5 case, as a per-order. I for one couldn't be happier with my choice. Fit and finish are amazing. The liner is also a GREAT fit, but the included instructions must be followed or the breakage may occur to the liner. A free replacement from e13ctron will follow as I've read. I've had zero issues in this regard. The other Aluminum Case makers don't go to the trouble in including a designated liner for their cases other than a sticky stripe that is placed on the iPhone before installing their case. A Short-Cut in my opinion. My three e13ctron s5 cases are shown. I have absolutely no affiliation with e13ctron, just a regular user :)

Attached Files:

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Used an e13ctron on my iphone 4 and 4s...Love the design. This design for the iPhone 5 is just meh...Just a metal bumper, nothing special design wise at all about it.

I did email them a month or two ago about this and he did say they would be coming out with another design similar to what the 4/4s had.