EA Announces 'The Sims 4' Will Launch on Mac in February

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

EA today announced via Twitter that the newest game in The Sims franchise, The Sims 4, will be coming to the Mac in February. The Sims 4 was first launched on the PC in September and EA initially promised a 2014 Mac launch for the game, but was unable to meet that target.

As with other games in the franchise, The Sims 4 invites players to create and control the lives of virtual characters, establishing relationships, building homes, and helping them advance through their careers. The Sims 4 has received some criticism for gameplay changes and features that were stripped from the previous game, but EA has pledged to return at least some of that former functionality to the game in the future.

The Sims 4 has received several content updates since its September launch, adding in ghosts, pools, and holiday decor. The game's first "Game Pack" expansion, The Sims 4: Outdoor Retreat will launch next week, adding new objects, features, and gameplay options.

Mac users who may have already purchased the PC version of The Sims 4 will be able to download the Mac version of the game at no additional cost. Though EA says the game will launch "next month," there is no specific release date specified at this time.

Article Link: EA Announces 'The Sims 4' Will Launch on Mac in February

yangm

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2014
I hope this port isn't as crappy as SimCity one. Or The Sims 3 one. Or anything EA does for OS X.

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
I wish they'd give the graphics maybe 30% more texture detail. I get that they're trying to keep it saturated and cartoony but it's bordering on looking cheap and low quality for what our machines are capable of, in my opinion of course.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
EA?

I rarely ever say I like/dislike a company. EA is an exception. EA is dead to me. They have destroyed more games than any other company I know. If they buy an IP you like, it will be crap in short order.

/rant over

Exhale

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
I get that they're trying to keep it saturated and cartoony but it's bordering on looking cheap and low quality for what our machines are capable of, in my opinion of course.
High texture resolution requires a high GPU memory bandwidth, which integrated GPUs do not have. (And integrated is what the majority of macs use these days)

When you have slower memory with greater bandwidth limits, which you also need to share with the CPU, you run into some bottlenecking problems.

bwillwall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
If they screw this up.... I will lose it. EA needs to make good Mac games.

jwbrobst

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
Maybe some of you could offer insight to this: I plan to get a new iMac 5k this month and plan to use Mac OS for design, professional use etc. and have a windows partition for gaming.

With these games becoming available for Mac, what do others do as far as drawing the line of what goes on Mac and what goes on the windows partition?

I'm also planning to use openemu as it is an excellent Mac emulator package.

Your opinions would help a ton!

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I hope this port isn't as crappy as SimCity one. Or The Sims 3 one. Or anything EA does for OS X.
I used to love The Sims 2 on my PC before i went to the Mac. I still have it installed on Boot Camp and play it every so often. Such an addictive game. Didn't care much for The Sims 3.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I used to love The Sims 2 on my PC before i went to the Mac. I still have it installed on Boot Camp and play it every so often. Such an addictive game. Didn't care much for The Sims 3.
You can get The Sims 2 on the Mac app store now :)

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Rialto, CA
Maybe some of you could offer insight to this: I plan to get a new iMac 5k this month and plan to use Mac OS for design, professional use etc. and have a windows partition for gaming.

With these games becoming available for Mac, what do others do as far as drawing the line of what goes on Mac and what goes on the windows partition?

I'm also planning to use openemu as it is an excellent Mac emulator package.

Your opinions would help a ton!
My split is purely which runs the best, and of course if the game in question is only available on one OS or the other. Games that run well on both platforms stay on Mac. Games that run terrible on Mac stay on windows.

Frequently used games that I play online(Left 4 Dead, Killing Floor, CSS, etc) that run well both get installed on both, for easy access.

Games like Cities in Motion 2, Insurgency, Train Fever , etc each have Mac versions but run terrible on Mac, so I boot into windows to play them. Also, for my more niche games like WinSPMBT or War in the Pacific: Admirals Edtion of course are only for Windows.

Civ V for Mac used to be abysmal, but they finally fixed it up so now it runs damn near close to the Windows version.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Rialto, CA
Gaming on Mac is just lol

You don't buy a Mac for gaming
You clearly miss the point. I don't think anyone buys a Mac just to game, but it's about the capability. I don't buy Macs for gaming, but the fact that my macs are capable means I want the option to be able to play games natively.

My 2 Macs are the best gaming machines I've owned. They don't run at Max settings on the latest games, but they run everything I want to play at decent settings. Although not newest or fastest iMac, I like that fact that I can anything I want on it, whether it be CAD, games, writing, school, etc.

jwbrobst

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
My split is purely which runs the best, and of course if the game in question is only available on one OS or the other. Games that run well on both platforms stay on Mac. Games that run terrible on Mac stay on windows.

Frequently used games that I play online(Left 4 Dead, Killing Floor, CSS, etc) that run well both get installed on both, for easy access.

Games like Cities in Motion 2, Insurgency, Train Fever , etc each have Mac versions but run terrible on Mac, so I boot into windows to play them. Also, for my more niche games like WinSPMBT or War in the Pacific: Admirals Edtion of course are only for Windows.

Civ V for Mac used to be abysmal, but they finally fixed it up so now it runs damn near close to the Windows version.
Thanks a ton for the detailed answer!

That makes a lot of sense, I wasn't even considering having some games on both. I'm just an overly organized person so it's hard for me to choose convenience over tidiness.

I think I'll run all my less demanding games (emulators, maybe sims, maybe minecraft) on mac so I can stream via airplay if I want to couch game. Then put essentially all other games and emulators not yet available for mac on Windows.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Gaming on Mac is just lol

You don't buy a Mac for gaming
I didn't exactly buy my mac to game, but I'm not going to buy a windows machine just to play one game series that's been on the mac since 2000. If I was a hardcore gamer I would have gotten a high end windows machine. Sims 4 runs on ultra settings with no lag on my macbook's windows partition. Sims 2 and 3 also run really well. I don't see the problem. The sims series is geared more towards casual gamers.

Bokito

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
I'm running The Sims 4 via Wine on my MacBook Pro '12. All you need it Wine 1.7.31 or higher, some DLLs and overrides and you need a no-Origin hack. It runs great, no crashes and a steady frame rate. This is way better than The Sims 3 Mac build that is crashing all the time and has a terrible performance.