Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arsenalroc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
hi - i have been searching the net for ages and yet to find a thread in any forum that tells me how well EA FIFA 06 runs on a macbook. There are tons about the usual games such as Half-life and Counter-strike but none on any EA sport games such as NBA,FIFA,Madden. Could somebody please tell me how well these games run if they have played in on a macbook?:)

charpi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2006
dont take my word as 100% true...but while i am researching this on the net some time ago for fifa06, many ppl did say that they were able to run 06 via bootcamp....not sure abt 07 tho...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
charpi said:
dont take my word as 100% true...but while i am researching this on the net some time ago for fifa06, many ppl did say that they were able to run 06 via bootcamp....not sure abt 07 tho...

07 should run under boot camp as well, since for what it is worth Windows is the world and no game publisher can afford to ignore Windows.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
weiss said:
Why, oh why, doesn't Macbook pack a better video card? :(
Apple uses last in class, worst and cheapist GPU in Macbook & Mini to try to get you into the pro line instead of just offering say a $50 option for real graphics. GMA 950 is near garbage in performance, in rendering frames and lack of modern features. Intels GPUs simply suck when compared to Nvidia and Ati. I have said it before the person who made this decision at Apple should be forced to work in a Pod Factory in China. Write Apple a letter and tell them about it. I have.;) Consumers are gamers and Apple has crippled the heck out of the consumer lines in hopes of consumers buying a pro machine. It almost makes you want to buy a dell im sorry to say but at least they offer gpu options. Another gpu rant is over.

weiss

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2006
Dont Hurt Me said:
Apple uses last in class, worst and cheapist GPU in Macbook & Mini to try to get you into the pro line instead of just offering say a $50 option for real graphics. GMA 950 is near garbage in performance, in rendering frames and lack of modern features. Intels GPUs simply suck when compared to Nvidia and Ati. I have said it before the person who made this decision at Apple should be forced to work in a Pod Factory in China. Write Apple a letter and tell them about it. I have.;) Consumers are gamers and Apple has crippled the heck out of the consumer lines in hopes of consumers buying a pro machine. It almost makes you want to buy a dell im sorry to say but at least they offer gpu options. Another gpu rant is over.

I would go for a Sony SZ2, which has better specs than the Macbook... by I do want a Mac, and that's the whole problema. I could also go for the Macbook Pro, but I would rather get myself a smaller a more portable 13.3" than a 15.4". Too bad the offer is so limited :mad:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Not to throw this thread off track but I did some searching around and after looking its clear Apple is playing marketing games. Its a travesty putting Intel graphics into any modern computer. Why even bother using modern CPU's if you are going to play this game Mr Jobs? Might as well have kept using G4s in my view. Very disappointed in Apples GPU games.

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Here is to 128MB TurboCache GeForce Go 7300 in the new black MacBook, while keeping the GMA950 in the white ones. 128MB/256MB GeForce Go 7600 in the Pro's.

:( :rolleyes: At least I can dream.

rackbreaker

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
Dont Hurt Me said:
Consumers are gamers and Apple has crippled the heck out of the consumer lines in hopes of consumers buying a pro machine. It almost makes you want to buy a dell im sorry to say but at least they offer gpu options.
Well spoken and I completely agree. With the current Mac laptop offerings, the MacBooks are actually the more attractive option for many pro users. Soon I will be upgrading from my old Powerbook, which I use every day for my business. Here are my current options:

1) MacBook Pro (120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, 2.16Ghz) - Includes backlit keyboard, dedicated GPU, and PC card slot.

2) MacBook (160GB HD, 2 GB RAM, 2 Ghz) - Costs $1000 LESS, no backlit keyboard or 3D games, but has a smaller size (fits better on airplane and desk -- since I use a second monitor/kb/mouse while working) and hard drive is easy to access (for quick replacement in the event of failure -- which always happens eventually on my work laptops).

Which one sounds like the business computer to you? The MacBook is pretty much a no-brainer for the work I do (DTP and web design). Sure, a backlit keyboard for reading in bed and the ability to play BF2 on my Mac would be nice perks, but not even close to being worth a $1k extra chage. And they're consumer features anyway, not even work-related. What gives, Apple? :confused: At least this weird pricing structure will save me money, I guess.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Dont Hurt Me said:

APPLE LISTEN TO US!! we want ability to order a REAL graphic chip!!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Dont Hurt Me said:

I don't mind the Intel GMA 950.

You're talking about pro machines versus consumer ones. Don't bother with labels like that. You're paying more for a MBP because it's a better machine with better specs. If you bought a MacBook, you knew you weren't going to get a dedicated video card, but when the MB first came out, most companies were including the GMA 950 with their laptops in this price range. Some like Dell were still including the older GMA 945 (?).

If you want to game on a laptop, you're going to have to pay for a machine with better specs. Same can be said with other computer companies, and with things other than computers. I don't think Apple is really short-changing you with the MacBook. It really does compare rather well with other machines on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.