EA to push 'Free' gaming with Battlefield Heros.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Markleshark, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Full Story Here.

I only post it because of this picture...

[​IMG]

Strange that Team Fortress 2 would be on that same cover, as admittedly thats what I thought of when I saw the first picture of BH.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought it was TF2 when I saw this on Joystiq :eek:

Where the shepherd goes sheep will follow. Oh and EA doing something for free? Huh!

3. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, be good though. They are saying it's designed to run on older machines, which means my Mac Mini wont be hampered by it's graphics card (Or lack thereof)

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

EA... Free... There's something fishy going on... Maybe there's a "ha ha, we now own your house" clause in the EULA :eek:

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This is awesome. I want to see more of this. In-game advertising is a wonderful concept when utilized properly- my gripe has always been that the companies want to have advertising AND sell at full price.

Ubisoft released some ad-supported games, but they were all older games that were past their prime. A good start.

But releasing a brand new game as free and ad-supported? Brilliant! Should also completely curb piracy, as it'll be available free and it will be impossible/difficult to remove the ads without the source code so people will just download the retail version.

It's about time someone stepped to the plate. Let's see how it does. There's really only one question- will it suck? If the game sucks, and thus no one downloads it, you just know that there will be analysts concluding that nobody wants free games w/advertising (they never take the content into account when running numbers).

If the game is good, this could spark an industry change. Will it be for the better? Dunno. Some games I would rather pay full price and have no ads- can you imagine Shadow of the Colossus with Coca-Cola ads?

Still, it's EA doing something innovative. I'm pretty sure that's one of the signs of the apocalypse.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

wow that really sounds great compared to the "we charge you upfront the normal price and then make money out of adds as well" idea
    especially with a title like battle field where many people like it but haven't bought it recently because of the price not only in newer hardware but also in software

i only bought battlefield 1942 and skipped vietnam, battlefield 2, battlefield 2142 etc. because it was too expensive / or didn't run that good anymore

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

8. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Oh yeah, it's Windows only, but we're in the Intel Age now. ;)