EA treats their game testers like crap?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by n8236, Jul 28, 2009.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

I so happened to have a few days open, so I took a short gig w/ EA to be a game tester. The gig was to last three days, 8 hours each.

Not only was the supervisor/proctor unenthusiastic, he almost sounded borderline arrogant like we didn't know anything. To me, it felt degrading and he used foul language was it was his first and only language. While I made this simple mistake, he said I totally "phcuked it up."

Prior to that, when I first arrived and asked the receptionist about the gig, she sighed at me and quickly pointed me to have a seat like she didn't give a crap.

I can understand how there is a social stigma that "avid gamers" are guys who sit on their asses all day doing nothing but gaming, drinking soda, eating snacks and have no jobs...but I didn't expect to be treated like one. For Christ's sake, I'm an IT professional whose graduated from a 4 yr college, not some hobo that likes to get kicked around like a nobody.

It was so unprofessional that I didn't go back.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never tested for EA so I can't comment, but EA might adhere to strict schedules so I can imagine it being a stressful environment. Might explain why they were as you said they were.
    Even though thats no way to treat someone. Maybe EA was having a collective bad day?
    My testers treat me like crap, but that's probably because I never upload new versions of games and test them myself :D.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

EA is just taking you for granted. There are tons of people out there that think that being a game tester would be a fantastic job, and unfortunately that makes you expendable. They know that, and are treating you accordingly.

4. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

EA treats all their employees like crap, not just testers...

It isn't unusual for artists and developers there to work 50,60+ hours a week with worse benefits than some of the other studios and terrible management.

Though I hear it's gotten better, most of the people I know who work at EA would quit in a heartbeat.

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

All I know is that EA developed Battlefield 2 and I thoroughly enjoy wrecking the People's Liberation Army and Middle Easterners Coalition with an American F-15 Eagle. Too bad war isn't like that in real life; I'd be a darn good pilot.

I've always liked Activision games more though.

6. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

EA is a huge company. A lot of their employees, to them, are expendable. Easily replaced. Especially game testers. They're not really employees and there are hundreds out there willing to do the job, so EA doesnt really care. Game Testers are almost at the bottom of the EA food chain.

BUT I also think you had a uniquely bad experience. I dont think all supervisors are grumpy men who swear at everybody. You probably just happened to come across this guy, and that made you more aware of how awful it was (you noticed the receptionist and perceived it as a non caring atitude)

You might have a better experience at a different site.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

My buddy worked for EA for 2 years and he said they treat everybody like crap.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would like to point out that the game tester are the lowest on the totam pole. They know that testers are a dime a dozen. They are very easy to replace and all the testers are doing is looking for bugs and glitches. It is not going to be a fun thing to do.

Like it or not I think game testers just get treated like crap.