Each night, at midnight my external disks eject.

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by cupcakes2000, Jan 17, 2016.

1. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

That's it. Does anybody know why? Or what is causing this? At 0000 every day, they all drop out. (I get the errors about not unplugging disks). They remount instantly.

10.11.4 Beta (15E27e), though it's been doing it since 10.11.0.
    2014 5k imac, high end.

Thanks

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Then, your external disks are not ejecting, but are disconnecting (for a moment)
    Seems unusual that they remount without needing to disconnect the drives, or reboot....

Are they connected directly to your iMac, or do you have those connected to a USB hub?
    What other things happen at midnight?
    Look in your Console logs (system.log) for some answers about that.

3. cupcakes2000, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016

cupcakes2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    All that's entered in the console consistently each night at midnight is:
    Notification centre - turning off do not disturb, and re fetching information.
    And bluetooth seems to restart itself as well.
    Two drives are directly connected to usb 3. The others are by a new hub, also usb 3.

Nothing else happens at midnight, (not that I'll mention on here!)

Actually I have had a thought, with hindsight, I have always just presumed they unmounted, and remounted quickly. I have never witnessed that. Just presumed. They my never have unmounted in the first place, it might be a simple bug whereby the notifications pop up when the notification centre restarts. I will check tomorrow night and be watching.
    I am fully aware I have probably answered my own question. Thank you for your help!! :)

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Perhaps then it is issuing the notification from an earlier disconnect? Just a thought, try adjusting the time DND gets turned off and see if the messages still get issued at the new time...

5. cupcakes2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm thinking along those lines as well. I'll try it all out when I have some free time at my studio.

6. sixkiller macrumors member

sixkiller

I have the same problem, but not at a specific time. They just unmount randomly, then remount again. It worries me because I have all my files on it, so I purchased another external hdd 5TB to make a backup of my main ext hdd, and not keep it connected.

7. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

My MyPassport has been doing this since 10.11.0 update. It doesn’t seem to have a time to it, but when the computer is asleep it is certainly more prevalent.
    I was worried about the files I had on the drive too, so I got a MyBook 4TB drive which I migrated everything to, and it does not have the ejecting issues.
    Really wish we could find a fix so I could assuredly use my original MyPassport.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

TBH that sounds like a completely different problem...cable/driver/power/enclosure