Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

River Hill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Do all of the iPod's including the shuffle come with the same Ear Buds? I know there are a great deal of aftermarket Ear Buds and was wondering how the ones are for the shuffle? I am getting ready to purchase a shuffle for working out and was wondering if the Ear Buds would hold up?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
The ones that come with the iPods are generaly known to suck ass.

The Apple in-ear models are a good compromise at $39.00 - I use those for running, and my Shure E3C's at home an in the office.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
River Hill said:
Do all of the iPod's including the shuffle come with the same Ear Buds? I know there are a great deal of aftermarket Ear Buds and was wondering how the ones are for the shuffle? I am getting ready to purchase a shuffle for working out and was wondering if the Ear Buds would hold up?

Despite hating the stock earbuds and not even opening the packet on my last couple of iPods, I've grown to.. hmmm... not sure if like is the right word. I don't think the sound is that bad from them. Not high end audio but decent.

However, they do indeed suck @ss when it comes to staying in your ears. I can't see they'd be great for working out. Just walking down the road means I have to adjust mine several times.

As for sound, it depends what you're after... pricey buds like the Shures are no doubt the "best" but some people find them a bit lacking in bass.

The white Sony's seem popular but I couldn't stand them. Way too bright sounding I thought.

On the other hand, Koss do The Plug earphones that I quite like. They're cheap, never fall out of my ears and give good bass... too much for some people though and a bit muddy sounding.

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
Unless you need to use your earbuds for a professional use (which would never happen- you'd use full-ear headphones), the earbuds are fine- especially for working out. A word to the wise- buy the protection plan for your shuffle. It covers everything that comes w/ the shuffle as well as the shuffle. I'm not sure how often these things break down- I know that w/ the normal iPod line, it's easier to break.

In any case, unless you're looking for great sound quality (and are storing your music files losslessly), the standard earbuds are fine.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Personally I swear by my Shure E2C ear buds coupled with foam sleeves (Large size for me).

I find the foam helps create a tight fit, which ensures excellent bass response.

They're comfortable, have a great sound, you don't annoy others around you due to a lack of sound leakage and because the fit is so airtight you end up playing music at lower levels than standard phones, protecting your hearing.

Vanilla

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
Dollar for dollar, I have yet to find quality like Koss' Sparkplug earbuds. They come in white, they're about 20 bucks, and they have incredible bass and noise reduction. I've tried several pairs of $50-$100 sets, and strangely, these are the best I've had.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I'm going to have to recommend the Sony Fontopia buds I just got to compliment my Nano.

They are very comfortable, its really easy to get a good seal, the bass response is suprisingly good, very good for buds as a matter of fact.

They come in white or black, maybe even silver, I can't remember.

Do a search for them at amazon.com, they have killer prices. $30-40 range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.