Ear Buds?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Acronym, May 29, 2008.

1. Acronym macrumors 68000

im looking for a new pair of ear buds and want to know what some people have bought and were satisfied with. so that i might be able to get a good quality but not to exspensive (40-50$ max)

2. Drucifer macrumors regular

I really like JVC Marshmellows for a pair of cheaper earbuds.

Skull Candy is pretty popular too however, I purchased their smokin buds and one of the earphones stopped working after only a couple weeks. The good thing about Skull Candy is they have a great warranty. They offer a lifetime warranty for any defects and if they are damaged and not covered under the warranty (ie, your dog decided to eat the cord) then you can get a replacement for 50% off the customer of a new set.

I didn't know this when I had my smokin buds so I just tossed them but I recently ordered 11mm Full Metal Jackets and this time I will take advantage of their warranty if need be. :p You can probably find the 9mm on ebay for around $30-$40. I think they retail here in Canada for $80 but I got mine on sale for half off. :D

3. KT322 macrumors newbie

Playback magazine (equipment reviewers are from The Absolute Sound [TAS] & The Perfect Vision [TPV]) reviews "Killer Earbuds" in this month's issue:
    http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200805web/

They highly recommend the Skullcandy Titan ($50), calling them, "one of the sweetest values in today's market" and "arguably Skullcandy's best-sounding earbud." They even go as far to say, "the Titans are hands down the best budget in-ear headphones we've yet heard."

Positive attributes of these earbuds are: "near-neutral tonal balance, good dynamic punch, and an unexpectedly big helping of sonic subtlety and detail—especially in the midrange". The one minor flaw, which some listeners (especially non-audiophiles) might regard as a serious plus, is a hint of excess bass richness. So the bass may appear slightly overripe when critically listening in a quiet environment, but would actually be beneficial in environments that have lots of low-frequency background noise (e.g. moving cars, airplanes, etc).

As the reviewers (from TAS) are known as being highly critical audiophiles, I would regard this review with more merit than those by other consumer electronics publications.

4. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

i will head down to futurehop and check them out thanks for the replies

5. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Honestly, save up and pick up Shure Ear Buds. You won't have to pick up another pair ever. You can find some for about $100-120. Top notch too. I've had mine for 4 yrs and use them with my iPods, MBP and iTouch.

6. dagored macrumors 65816

Second what Gunga Din said. I have had my Shure SE210's for about 4 months. You can hear a difference. I have gone thru a pair of Sony's, Skullcandy, and Bose.

I love the Shures and the sound. It was as if I got a new Touch.

7. colourclassic macrumors member

colourclassic

I hear that the Sennheiser CX 300's are really good value and sound great.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

If only there were a good source for a review of the most popular ones. I would like to find out which one came out on top.

9. Digitaljim macrumors regular

Digitaljim

:rolleyes:
    True - I picked up a pair for ~£15 from Amazon (£40 at the Apple Store!)

However, there are a LOT of fake CX300s going around. A friend bought a white pair for about £6 from Ebay and they turned out to be fake (google it - there are guides out there to check). They were certainly good fakes and sounded much better than the Apple supplied earphones, but they weren't in the same league as the real deal. Also they started to fall apart after a few weeks.

But, yeah, the CX300s are a great bargain purchase - just make sure you buy from a reputable seller!

I'm looking at upgrading to some Shure E2Cs at some point, but they're an extra £40 or so