ear phone (sensor) part of iPhone 3g in reverse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kinster, Sep 1, 2008.

1. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Anyone having an issue with this? On a call when the ear part is covered the screen should go blank, but mine is in reverse. When I uncover it it goes blank instead.

I'm on firmware 2.0.2 (5C1)

Regards

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I assume it is not in a case. Have you tried a restore?

3. kinster thread starter macrumors 6502a

kinster

no, it's in one of those rubber covers and it worked with the old iPhone. When I cover the 'speaker/earphone' part the screen comes back.

4. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Try taking it out of the case and see what happens.

The iPhone 3G has two proximity sensors where the 1st gen iPhone only had one. If the case is covering one of the sensors you will have a problem.

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah, just about everyone who has this problem is using a first-gen iPhone case. Take it out, and see if it works.

If that doesn't work, then try a restore.

6. gldelx macrumors member

i believe the sensor is to the left of the ear speaker - so likely if your case covers the area above the screen at all, it would be confusing it.
    I had been looking at a case at Apple that had a cutout for the speaker plus the extra cutouts between the speaker and the left edge, and the apple sales guy said even with those extra cutouts, he had heard of others having issues with the sensor and urged against any covering that area at all.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Exactly the issue I had. A case built for the 3G leaves the sensors uncovered and the problem went away. Try without the case and it should work just fine.