Ear speaker not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TheVoski, Mar 31, 2010.

1. TheVoski macrumors newbie

First off, my daughter spilt a little bit of water on it - everything works fine on it except ear speaker. Second off it was stuck in head phone mode because of what she did I guess. Looked through troubleshooting to see what I could do and nothing I did worked. My friend who is familiar and works for a company that runs on Macs and he is their IT guy, who also has an iPhone, came over took it apart and got it work - even though he lost one little screw. Anyways, everything is working except I can't hear people or anything out the ear speaker. He even took it apart again and tried blow drying the ear speaker to dry water but to no prevail. What can I do? Also, I got the phone about 6 to 10 months ago. Will I be able to take it to the Apple Store and not have to pay anything for it to be fixed or swapped?

Nevermind, both screws are in it.

2. kenterainbow macrumors newbie

I had this problem and I just took it back to the apple store last Friday and the genius replaced my phone:) good luck

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well it could actually be a couple different things. #1 your ear speaker could actually be wet and bad. #2 your proximity sensor cable may be bad. these go bad real easy especially when people try to fix their phone themselves and dont know what they are doing. if there is any power at all in the phone when you reconnect #3 you will usually blow this sensor. this sensor is not something that you can fix yourself because it involves removing the touch screen from the frame to replace. and that is regardless wether it is the speaker or the sensor and you might as well replace both while you have it apart. most repair shops will make this repair for less than $100.

you can also check your water sensor in the ear phone jack, charging port, and hopefully you noticed both on the mother board. if these are all white you make get the apple store to swap it for you.

good luck

4. TheVoski thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to Apple Store my phone was still in warranty he replaced the whole screen because the ear speaker is attached to it. Two birds one stone, I also had a hair line fracture (not in the glass) but in the plasma which made all the pixels turn gray and it was spreading. So basically whole new phone. YAY FOR ME!

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You got lucky a moisture sensor wasn't tripped.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

congrats!

7. paross2 macrumors newbie

paross2

Moist Earpiece?

I have a friend who got her phone wet. The earpiece is 100% busted, no sound coming out at all.

If I replace the earpiece speaker module, do you guys think that will repair the issue? :confused:

Has anyone had success with aftermarket parts off Amazon or eBay, or should I try and buy :apple: OEM? :confused: