earasing taking a long time

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kidrock, Aug 19, 2008.

1. kidrock macrumors newbie

hi,
    i have a macbook that had that flashing question sign on a folder when starting up, so i used the disk utility in the installation CD to fix it but it could not, it said there is a link problem and tried to build a catalog b-tree so i kept watching it for three hours and it looked like it got stuck so i stopped the repairing and chosen to erase the hard disk and install my mac tiger all over again, so also using the installation CD i clicked erase and chosen the volume format (Mac OS Extended (journaled)) it started good but when it reached partitioning it stopped continuing and got stuck there its been like this for an hour or more and i cant click on anything, i dont know should i leave it like this or shut it down or what?! should it take all this time to erase?

( my hard drive is 120 gigs, hitachi )

i need help please im starting to hate mac :S its making me mad

thank you

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Seems like it's stuck to me.

I would try the hardware test on the DVD to check for problems. If anything is fine try again. Also check the smart status in disk utility.

3. kidrock thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx man

what happened is crazy i went to apple store and they changed the whole hard disk they put a totally new hard drive, now i have a mac phobia im afraid of working my macbook every time i want to turn it on, i mean the hard drive got broken down and i did not do anything just while im working on it :s, what this hard drives they use its called hitachi i dunno why mac goes that low in quality

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

all hard drives fail eventually, hitachi makes some great hard drives. it's not low quality, just the nature of hard drives.

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Just bad luck!
    Always backup your important stuff on another drive! :D