Earbud Selection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ph03n1x, May 15, 2008.

1. ph03n1x macrumors member

I know this might not seem like the right forum for it, but the name of it is fitting. Anyway, my V-Moda Vibes are fraying at the left earbud. I've been looking at the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio and Shure SE110. I've been leaning towards the SE110 because I can get them in-store while the UE I have to buy online. I've heard mixed reviews on the SE110's that they can deliver in the mids and highs but fail in bass. If I can fix that with my iPod then I wouldn't mind that. Never heard anything bad with the UE. I'm more concerned about the wire fraying over time. I know the UE has user replaceable cords which are a HUGE plus. But I heard that the thickness of the Shures pretty much ensure that the wire won't fray until years of use. So can anyone vouch for either? Or at least give an excellent review?

Looking at the Shure SE210s too. Wondering if paying $50 more is worth it. Anyone know the difference between the two? Deeper bass, clear highs, etc?

2. macwall macrumors 6502

I would go with the cheaper shures. I don't think that there's a huge difference between the 110 and the 220. Also, if you can buy in store it's probably easier to return them if you don't like them.

3. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

One answer. Go for the SE110.

I had the exact same dilemma with the same types of headphones as well. I went with the SE110 from by local Best Buy for a few reasons. I don't know where you live, but shipping to Canada for the Ultimate Ears was going to be around $70-80 American for me. I wrote them and after some prodding they finally told me.

Also, Best Buy matched there price for the SE110 with that of one on the internet. I took proof, and they met the price plus 10% off I think. I saved about $40.

As for the actual headphones, I love my Shures and can't be without them. They're perfect.

Hope this helps.

4. ph03n1x thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting them at the Apple Store. I would take the smaller design the 220 has since I listen to music in class and I'd prefer ones that are less noticeable. And I've been reading reviews on both and they're saying that the 220 give you more bang for the buck.

5. Ottokar macrumors newbie

Splurge purchase

I recently bought the Shure SE530 earbuds. I knew they had rave reviews, but they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Still, I'd been thinking about it for ages so one day I just decided life was short....
    They are so amazing. Just incredibly good sound, whether it's classical, choral, REM or James Taylor (OK, my music tastes are kind of lame...)
    So I don't know about the models mentioned so far, but I'd happily recommend Shure as a brand. Certainly for anyone perusing this thread, definitely go and buy something to replace the standard apple earbuds. It's like a whole new ipod experience...

6. ph03n1x thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but I'm replacing my V-MODA Vibes. I'm just wondering if I'd be taking a step up or down with the SE110 or super.fi 3s.

7. ph03n1x thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE

So I'm getting the Super.fi 3 in white (not the colour I wanted but that's the only one I could find in stores) but it'll take a little to ship since it's backordered. Anyone know if the colour of it will become a nasty yellow like with the diseased Macbook wrist pads or will it stay a nice white? And is the shade of white the shade of the iPod earbuds?