Earbuds Crackling Sound

Discussion in 'iPod' started by CV4, Apr 16, 2007.

1. CV4 macrumors member

So my right earbud has developed a crackling sound.

I am still in the 1 year warranty, but outside of the first 6 months. I am wondering if the earbud replacement constitutes the $35 charge for shipping or whatever.

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

My right earbud also crackles a bit, I have two unopened pairs of headphones but I'm just too stubborn to open them and replace my old dying pair...

You might as well just try getting replacement 'phones from :apple:, it's worth a try.

3. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I had the same issue. Call Apple. They'll most likely send you a new pair. They did for me. I had them in a matter of days and never had to send anything back to them.

An Apple Store will probably do the same.

I'm sure the heaphones cost them next to nothing. Much better for them to loose a dollar or two to you now and a couple of hundred when it comes time for you to buy your next iPod.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

One time I went to the Apple Store and they replaced mine right away. Very cool of them to do so.

5. verticalforce macrumors member

Buy new earbud, please. It baffles me that people are willing to spend so lot on an mp3 player, only to find themselves using a crappy earbud.

I have a Samsung mp3 player that costs 50 bucks, and i'm using 400 dollars Shure E500 to drive them. I guess people don't really care about music quality.

6. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

So.....you're talking about people not caring about quality but you are using an MP3 player......hmm.......:rolleyes:

I agree though, if you spend $300+ on an iPod, why can't they include mid range earphones? I'm not understanding why they don't just help themselves. It would make people more loyal to Apple. Instead, they force you to buy better headphones from an outside company.

7. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

invest 40 dollars and get the apple in ear headphones. They are the best they cancel out noise very well, and sound amazing!! I bought them because i like to fall asleep with my headphones and they don't hurt if i fall asleep with them in!!:apple: :apple: :apple:

8. CV4 thread starter macrumors member

I know the apple earbuds aren't the greatest, but I find them really comfortable, so I don't mind.

I know at apple stores they will just give you a new pair, but the closest store to me is an hour away.

I will just call them up and see what they say. I assume they will give me a pair.

9. verticalforce macrumors member

What's wrong with using mp3 player? It provides details that no speakers (well... not the cheap one) can produced.

320 kbps, lame encoded mp3s sound good enough for me. Most (if not all) of the so-called audiophiles won't even know the difference between this and lossless.

10. verticalforce macrumors member

If you don't mind clip-on headphones, get the Koss Ksc75. They are very very good. For only 20 bucks or so (less on ebay) , they are probably 3/4 the sound quality that I get from Shure E500. (400 bucks!)

Koss ksc75 is so good it's a crime not to get one. The fit is kind of flimsy if you are not used to it but once you do, you will be so disgusted by apple earphone...

11. CV4 thread starter macrumors member

I prefer earbuds.

I am also wary of buying any more news ones, because the last pair I boughtm Sennheiser somethings for $50 don't really fit in my ear and I never use them because of this.