Earbuds that don't suck

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JasonR, Aug 27, 2012.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Does anyone know of any earbuds that don't suck? I'd like to have a pair for biking/walking/the gym...but all of my Apple ones fell apart. It's a bonus if it has a mic.

And I don't want to pay $100 for them!

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Define "suck" and provide a budget if you want recommendations. Don't just assume that your needs/wants/budget are universal. What type of music do you listen to? Sound is a very subjective matter. Have you tried out any to assess your preferences with regard to sound quality? Or does that not matter at all to you?

3. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I had the ID America "Spark" headphones - which I liked. I got them for $30...so I couldn't pass them up. Unfortunately they've gone missing. They are near $50 for now, and that's about the limit I'd pay for earbuds.

I listen to all sorts of music, rock, country, rap/hip-hop (although very little), classic rock, hard rock, etc.

Apple's earbuds suck...usable...but they always fall out of my ears.

4. dthree36 macrumors regular

I just picked up a pair of yurbudz with the mic and volume controls. These are buds with an over the ear type design. I have had a pair previously that were just the buds but these are surprisingly comfortable and they don't fall out. They are bit pricey at 59.99 but they are sweat proof and supposed to be water proof but that might be the insert only.

They are solid as far as overall sound. I am sure you can find better ones but I have issues when working out and getting sweaty. I have killed numerous better buds that were not sweat and water resistant. There were some Phillips ones at Best Buy but I went with yurbuds since I have experience with them. The Phillips were also sweat resistant and were 39.99.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

6. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately the Klipsch S5i (http://amzn.to/QOxQQ2) has been discontinued in favor of the S4i rugged in different colors (http://amzn.to/Rq9r8j) these are FANTASTIC headphones. They sound great and take a beating, too! I HIGHLY recommend them!

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Earbuds that don't suck ... ?

Does such a thing exists ? Tried many .. nowI have a pair of a Denon; but use them only as emergency speaker in case m Motorola SD9 running short on energy. And my BW is not with me.

8. RenoG macrumors 65816

Hmmm to me all earbuds suck..Tried a ton even the hundred dollar in-ear ones. To get the sound I want I have to stick with the over the ear sorts.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

What your showing is IEM In Ear Monitors not what most people think of when you say ear buds. honestly almost anything is better then Apples ear buds. personally I think you can better quality and less gimmick.. if it were me I'd look at Sony, JVC, Brainwavz Beta would be a very good choice in that price range http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Bet...UTF8&qid=1346208943&sr=1-2&keywords=brainwavz MEElectronics makes nice quality stuff at a good budget the list goes on. I'm guessing your younger my daughter likes JVC Gummy's and Marshmallows allot. if it were me I'd look at the Brainwavz

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

way over the budget he's talking about.. but if can afford them then yes. he's also open to IEM's so that's give him allot more possibility's.

11. torana355 macrumors 68020

Get some Phillips IEM's. Really cheap but sound great.

12. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

They're $20 less than his $100 budget. :p

Seriously though, the OP should consider the Sony MDR E828LP Fontopia. Dirt cheap, and wayyyy better sounding (louder bass, more accurate bass, clearer mids, and crisper highs) than all the other popular earbuds listed here (except for the Yuin PK2). Don't be a sucker into all the marketing and A/B these earbuds (as I have against many of the listed earbuds here) and you'll see...uh, I mean hear what I mean.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

he said he doesn't want to spend a $100 not that that's his budget. He's looking at $16 for a pair of IEM's with skull's I'm not sure he's ready for Yuin's lol. lets be honest here it's hard to find a pair of buds or EIM's worse then Apple's earbuds. I agree the Sony's would be a good choice. he really needs to decide if he wants buds or EIM's myself I don't like buds that's why I'm always against them it's all personal preference.

14. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

IEMs are essentially the same as earbuds. The only difference is that IEMs block out more sound, and are more likely to fit securely. The latter isn't really an issue with earbuds though most of the time since you can adjust the size with foam pads. It's only an issue if your earhole is so small that even a naked earbud is too large.

So the real question is how much sound you want to block out. For daily use, I still want to know if someone is calling my name. Or if a car is honking at me. So I use earbuds. IEMs are better for special situations where you won't need to hear people yelling at you, e.g. recording studios. It's a safety concern for me, so I don't like IEMs. I think IEMs are getting a lot of attention for daily use because it's a current trend/fad and marketing.

15. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Try sennheiser, they got some great ones $30-50, im sure you'll find one with a mic :) you can get your ear size buds

16. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

PK3. Around $40. I haven't heard them, but they get great reviews at least for the sound quality. Durability seems to be on par with my preferred brand, Etymotics. (not so good)

http://www.amazon.com/YUIN-PK3-Yuin-Pk3-Earphones/dp/B001B4E49C

17. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Ajays are worth considering. Although I went through 2 pairs because I treat them like crap.

18. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

I have tried all headphones. Jbuds are really good for how long they last.

Remember you have to spend a lot to get your moneys worth. Invest in headphones. Join the rich bitch club.
    [​IMG]

19. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

AKG K318

Love mine and bought it at best buy for 33. I think right now they're 40.

20. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

I've heard them. They are only marginally better. You really only hear a significant improvement with the PK2.

----------

I've A/Bed these. For the price range, they have the best mids and highs hands down. Their lows are bit weak, albeit accurate, though. Overall, the Sony MDR E828LP Fontopia is better, and they are a quarter of the price.

If you're not willing to spend $80, get the Sony MDR E828LP Fontopia. Otherwise, get the Yuin PK2. Don't bother with the Yuin PK1 (or PK3).

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

I don't think the TS is even checking this anymore he hasn't said anything since he asked about those skull headphones. I still say in the end headphones should be a personal choice sure reviews and opinions are great but in the end it's the user that matters. there are tons of choices for every budget. too me half the fun is finding a awesome pair of headphones no ones heard of or no one expects to be great. every time we have one of these it's more of a debate then trying to help it seems.

22. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

Earbuds that don't suck are called headphones.

I don't have any experience with the exact model below, but I have used the Sony Pro Studio Monitor series extensively. You'll find them in recording studios and audio labs all over the world. These appear to be very similar but they are made specifically for iPhone use and can be had for less than 100 bucks.

http://www.provantage.com/sony-drzx701ip~BSCEC0CT.htm