Earliest date for revised design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwreck, Jul 27, 2010.

?

When could Apple release new or revised iPhone hardware without angering you?

1. Oct 2010

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Nov 2010

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dec 2010

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jan 2011

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Feb 2011

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Mar 2011

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Apr 2011

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. May 2011

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jun 2011

48 vote(s)
    64.9%
  10. Never...iPhone 4ever!!!

16 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. dwreck macrumors member

For iPhone 4 owners only: what is the earliest date that Apple could release new or revised iPhone hardware without angering you?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Today. I couldn't care less, since I'm happy with what I have. However, I could always bring mine back and get this supposed new hardware, if mine had a problem.

3. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Never ever. Untill iphone5 thats is next year in June.

4. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Seeing as I've always used a case on my iPhone, they could alter the antenna tomorrow and I wouldn't care.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You didn't even read the OP, did you?:confused::rolleyes:

Edit: Now that I see there is a poll, all I can say is it seems to be another poll making assumptions of this "after September fix" that's been dreamed.

7. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Summer 2011.

8. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

Don't think there will be any revisions to the iPhone 4 until iPhone 5 is released! People keep spreading rumors that Apple is going to start shipping iPhone 4's with a redesign and this is simply a rumor! People let's move on. The iPhone 4 has been released and Steve Jobs has had the press conference to address the issues that a small number of you are having. If you have issues put a case on it! If you are still not happy take it back, get a refund, and go buy one of those crappy Android phones and stop talking about this day after day. It is getting really old!

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Oh good.. another poll on this subject. I was hoping someone would try and find out where that line is in the sand...

Apple will have a bloodbath on their hands if they update the iPhone before their normal June timeline.

10. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Next June without a doubt. The usual highlight of WW[iOS]DC.

11. traveller09 macrumors member

Well since I returned my iPhone 4 to wait for an antenna fix, the sooner the better. Otherwise I will just wait for iPhone 5 and hope they do a better job this time.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oh, in my response above I was assuming they just made a change to respond to the antenna complaints. If they updated the whole design, yeah, I'd be pissed if it was before June 2011.

13. dwreck thread starter macrumors member

Well, not exactly. The question isn't about whether we think a hardware revision is coming, because we all know that it is...eventually.

Really, my question is about people's attitudes towards such a revision. Within a half-hour of opening the poll, June 2011 is already leading the other options by a substantial margin.

My thinking is that iPhone customers feel that, not only are they buying an iPhone, they're buying a 12 month contract to have the latest-and-greatest iPhone. Apple's done themselves a bit of a disservice by falling into a pattern of releasing each subsequent hardware revision in June; if iPhone 3G had come in August 2008 and iPhone 3GS had come in May 2009, they would have potentially avoided being almost locked into a 12 month release schedule. (It's ironic that Apple seems to know better--that's exactly the reason they gave for pulling out of MacWorld Expo). I've heard some speculation that iPhone 4 was released before it was really ready partly due to the Gizmodo scoop, but also probably due to the past history of a new iPhone each year in June.

It's almost certain that one of Apple's top priorities for the new revision of iPhone hardware is a fix for this antenna issue; I'm sure no one at Apple wants to relive the past 30 days. With their best and brightest working their hardest at it, it's possible they'll come up with a solution that would allow them to release a new revised iPhone before June 2011, but it seems that will just piss current iPhone 4 owners off.

The thing that's just a little bit tragic about that is that iPhone customers seem to be so obsessed with having the latest-and-greatest that they'd rather see Apple stifle innovation than risk not having the newest iPhone in their pockets.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Well that's the problem with the poll. How hard is it to ask one and ONLY one question.

TWO questions that are mutually exclusive are being asked. How does one vote?

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, I assumed wrong above. Samcraig straightened me out.

Actually, I'd probably not even get the new one next year. I waited two years for the iPhone 4. I'll probably wait 2 years for the next one, unless there are some significant enhancements.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - but you don't know a thing about how long it takes a product to get to market. Not just Apple - but to get a new phone out every year is daunting and amazing at the same time.

I've worked for a major phone manufacturer and some phones literally take YEARS to hit the marketplace. And go through so many revisions during that time.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think he's reacting to the pressure from the Droid and it's revisions.

18. hunter x az macrumors member

I thought Apple made it clear that there is no antenna issue? Are you guys still going on about that?

Next revision = iPhone 5. Or LTE.

19. dwreck thread starter macrumors member

Um, I realize that. All I'm saying is that it's not a coincidence that Apple's released a new iPhone every June since 2007, and now iPhone customers expect that. If they were to have released iPhone 4 in March 2010 or September 2010, there would have been pandemonium....at least on MacRumors Forums.

20. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

No, No, No. Stop creating speculation whocaresit. Every thread like this I've read has you on here talking about secret modifications and updates. Do you have any idea what your talking about? Apple is not going to revise the iPhone 4 and piss off 3+ million customers. They said there is no problem. They issued what they deem the fix for it and that's the end of it. Will there be a change to the design in the future? Most likely, but I can promise it will be the next version of the iPhone that has no resemblance to the name iPhone 4.