Earliest date on new iMac release?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doctorcrentist, Nov 17, 2011.

1. doctorcrentist macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Searched the forums and didn't quite find a thread that fit for my question.

Like most potential product buyers, we need an iMac upgrade and don't want to buy right before a new product release. We are running an iMac G4 (yeah... I know) and have been eyeing a new TB iMac, but don't want to miss an upgrade by a close margin since we don't upgrade the desktop often (we are current with a pair of 4s's).

I've been watching "reports" on iPad parts and thinking that iPad will be early 2012 again, MBA in late spring potentially putting iMac upgrades at late summer/early fall.

Been reading about ivy bridge and launch delays. Just curious what everyone's best guess is at the earliest possible release of an upgraded iMac, if apple were to choose to upgrade as soon as they could.

Thanks

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

iMacs could come out tomorrow for all we know. That being said, it's doubtful you'll see a refresh before the end of this year. If they were going to release an iMac for the holiday season, they would have done so alongside the MBP refresh. You're likely looking at January/February of next year, IMO.

3. doctorcrentist thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, I agree that there will be no second iMac release for this year, but I wonder about your rationale for Jan/Feb. Could you please elaborate? One of the reasons I am not sure about that early in 2012 is what I had read about ivy bridge delays until around march, and I assume iMac upgrades would be held until ivy bridge were available. With the assumption that iPad 3 would hold to the march/April refresh period as seen with iPad 1and 2, and considering Apple's pattern of spacing out its product releases, I am thinking wither. Jan/Feb release as you mentioned (although ivy bridge delays might delay this, right?) or more in the may/June time frame, with a possible WWDC release if there is a major redesign in store.

I'm hoping you are right, but again wanted to see some rationale as to how and why they would want to make that work.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816