Early '06 iMac 4,1 with SSD - Video

Discussion in 'iMac' started by burnout8488, Jan 13, 2012.

1. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpPr8N1gRk&hd=1

Thought I'd share my experience in case others are considering this modification.

It sucks the computer is only SATA-I, as the SSD completely saturates the bus. (150MB/s) My max read/writes are right around 130MB/s.

More info about the computer is in the YouTube description.

2. monk fish, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

monk fish macrumors member

@burnout8488 Good work.i have been wanting to do this myself but seems no one has bothered on older iMac.mines a 24" 2.33ghz that a want to give some kick too
    Can you please explain all this bus speed business and the read/right stuff so i no what I'm getting into

3. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Basically an SSD will improve performance, but only to the maximum that the iMac's SATA bus will allow. Whatever SSD you buy will support faster transfers than our Macs can run. SATA 1 tops out at 1.5Gbps, while SATA 2 doubles the theoretical maximum at 3Gbps.

Nothing you can really do. The SSD will still fly though.

4. monk fish macrumors member

I see,Im sure I saw 1.5 when I looked at the specs last night.
    How can I check the current read/writes
    And it might sound stupid to you but can flooding the bus cause any problems

5. monk fish macrumors member

@burnout8488 when I was looking into this a while back trim came up alot.
    Am I right in thinking that trim is not enabled in the lion os unless it's a apple supplied ssd

6. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right. You can download TRIM enabler, which...enables it. I have TRIM running on 10.7 perfectly fine.

I don't remember the hard drive benchmark test I downloaded, but it was a popular free one. I think I just did a google search.

Maxing out the bus won't harm a thing.

7. monk fish macrumors member

Does your drive have garbage collection and what's your thoughts of not needing trim if the drive supports GC