Early 08 iMac - max ram capacity?

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I'm sorry everyone for not posting about the new i5 & i7's! I wish I were! My iMac is showing it's age and it's limited processing power (I would love an i7).

I need to get more power out of this thing, the only way I can do that is by getting more ram. So I was thinking about getting two 4gb sticks, but I heard that there was a limitation on this model, perhaps a 6gb limit.

So my questions are:

1. how much ram can I get in this bad boy?
2. where is a good, cheap place to get 4gb DDR2 800mz sodimm's?

Thanks!

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I'm sorry everyone for not posting about the new i5 & i7's! I wish I were! My iMac is showing it's age and it's limited processing power (I would love an i7).

I need to get more power out of this thing, the only way I can do that is by getting more ram. So I was thinking about getting two 4gb sticks, but I heard that there was a limitation on this model, perhaps a 6gb limit.

So my questions are:

1. how much ram can I get in this bad boy?
2. where is a good, cheap place to get 4gb DDR2 800mz sodimm's?

Thanks!
http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

That will answer all your questions about your particular Mac and what kind and how much memory it supports.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
what are using you iMac for?

More ram wont get you "more power" unless you are using so many applications now that you bump into the current 4 gig limit.

And you are talking $200 for a single 4 gig chip, which will not give you $200 more performance

Another resource for mac specs: http://www.everymac.com/

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wow, that app is incredible!!!! Thank you!

I'm using the iMac for PS and AI work, but as I'm an office manager and communications manager at my work I have VMware open while I do various tasks (some of the apps just aren't available on :apple: such as Publisher). I try to keep VM shut down as much as possible, but then I use Entourage as my exchange client, firefox as my gmail mail window, safari for browsing, then perhaps Soundtrack Pro as I edit audio from time to time during the week.

Oh, and iTunes of course.

I'm constantly switching between these so I need them open. But it just seems to be eating up resources more and more these days. I could definitely do with some more CPU power (but I don't have enough money for a new iMac in my budget).

What I'm really hoping for is to get a new i5 or i7 MacBook Pro.