Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yarjarrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
California
Hi, l tried to turn on my macbook pro this morning, but it doesn't turn on. When l press power, the fan and sleep light come on. but after about one second, it shuts down. The chime and screen dont come on. please help

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
I have the same model. It's had a similar issue where the screen would go blank and then die. That was the 8600GT issue. (They had to replace the logic board).

Do you have AppleCare?

So far I've had my Logic board replaced twice, DVD drive replaced, screen replaced, Battery replaced, Battery IO ports replaced. The thing is a nightmare so AppleCare has been essential. I'm trying to get the device replaced at the moment.

Take the thing to an Apple store or repair otherwise but expect an expensive job. Its always best to expect the worst, especially with this machine because it usually comes to that...

macJC50640

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I suggest taking it into an Apple Store right away, sometimes they will help you even if your warranty/Apple Care has ran out. Just make sure the machine is not full of scratches or stains, because they love to blame it on "water damage" or something similar as that makes the issue your fault.

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
Don't worry if it's the 8600-issue, they have extended the warranty to 3 years for those repairs.

biyomeyom

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
same issue

I have the exact same problem :mad:
for just one second it has power. then it dies. no chime sound, no screen.
whad procedure did you follow and how did they fixed it?
just spoke to an apple girl and she was not sure if this is a nvidia issue.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Hi, l tried to turn on my macbook pro this morning, but it doesn't turn on. When l press power, the fan and sleep light come on. but after about one second, it shuts down. The chime and screen dont come on. please help

It's the 8600gt failure. You need to take it to the apple store and have them repair it or call AppleCare. Don't worry about your AppleCare, this failure is covered regardless of your AppleCare's status for three years since the original order date.

There's no procedure, if its not turning on but you see lights and than turned off, it's the 8600gt failure. You take it to the Apple store, tell them its the nVidia failure, they'll take out an external USB drive that's used to diagnose the GPU issue and that's it. It'll tell them that GPU can't be detected. The laptop will be taken and repaired within a week or two depending on the inventory. You'll pick it up at the store when its repaird.

yarjarrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
California

I got the problem fixed a while ago, I took it to the Apple store and they figured out it was a bad logic board. I was a few days out of warranty, but they fixed it for free anyway. Good thing too, because I think it's an expensive thing to fix.

ChristWolves

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
Southampton, UK
I have got the same model as you with 512mb grahpics, but the hard drive was damaged a few times in a few months, so I asked for a replacement and they agreed to give me a base model Arrandale and I'm satisfied. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.