Early '08 MacPro long shut down time

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 4God, Aug 6, 2009.

1. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Man, what's up with this? Shut down on my early 2008 MacPro (10.5.7) takes forever! I've tried resetting the PRAM and it did this with earlier versions of Leopard as well. I've reinstalled the OS twice, changed hard drives and wish I could fix this. Any suggestions?

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Quit programs before you shutdown? Also, how long is "long"?

3. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

This is just a stab in the dark, but have you tried defragging, or rebuilding the directory?
    I use iDefrag & DiskWarrior for those things, but I must reiterate that I have no idea if those things could solve your problem.
    Have you tried slimming down your system, with Monolingual and Xslimmer?
    *shrugs* Best of luck.

4. SimonMW macrumors 6502

I recently had this problem (along with a verrrrrrry long startup). I found that one of my hard drives (an external G-Drive) was having issues due to a powercut a few days earlier. Sometimes it would mount, sometimes it wouldn't.

I turned the computer and all hard drives off at the wall for a while and now everything seems to be working again (touch wood).

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

So you resetted PRAM, try doing the SMC reset as well.

After that this is what you can do, hopefully it will solve your problem. It solved mine.

Boot with your OSX restore disc, and go into Disk Utility. Select your OSX partition (not the HDD, but the actul partition), and repair the permission. I repaired it twice just in case.

Then repair your disk partition (don't bother with the "Verify Disk").

Reboot into your OSX partition. Hopefully this solves your problem.

I have had slightly longer bootup time (circa 3 seconds), and shutdown time (circa 8 secs) on my 13" mbp Intel SSD after the 10.5.8 update. Doing the above fixed my problem. Not only that, my bootup time improved by 4secs approx. and shutdown time improved by 2secs appox.

P.S. Just so all of you know, power cut can disrupt/corrupt system files. Another scenario whereby system files can be corrupted is by forced OS shutdown by hitting and holding the power button (which is what most of us do when the system hangs). If you often do a forced shutdown or if there's frequent power cut, your system files will get too corrupted to the point system bootup and shutdown will degrade.

In the event like this, repairing the partition (done via Disk Utility from the restore disk) will most likely solve your problem. If it doesn't, it probably means you have a dying hard drive. I've experienced this with my iMac as the power supply in my area is not stable, causing lotsa power cut.

6. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Tried that, and as far as "Long" goes, I haven't timed it but trust me, it's ridiculous.

I haven't tried that yet, maybe next on the list.

Did SMC reset as well, but completely forgot about using Disk Utility. I'll do that first.
    Thanks for the replys, I'll post back a little later with the results.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

FWIW, I had a similar issue. It was some menu bar goodie that was failing to shut down, it was always hanging. I removed it and reset the PRAM and SMU. It helped.

8. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Okay, so I did the Disk Utility thing (repair permissions and repair disk) and same thing is still happening. Gonna go through Activity Monitor and see what's using resources before I shut down. Will check Console as well, just not sure what to look for though.

9. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Wasn't there something about the first drive bay being an issue before?

10. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

11. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

I reinstalled a fresh copy on a new drive and installing apps one at a time. In other words, install an app and use it for a few days and if all is well, install another one. Process of elimination, lengthy but I believe helpful. So far I've installed everything back except for a midi plug in from M-Audio and EyeTv software. So far so good, so I think I've narrowed it down to one of these last two culprits. I'll post back just as an fyi for those interested. Thanks all for your help and patience with me. :)

12. goMac macrumors 603

FYI: Snow Leopard dramatically speeds up shut down times, in my experience. Almost OS 9 speeds.

13. sos85 macrumors member

Just press the power button for a while to make it start:rolleyes:

14. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

15. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Are you running Fusion?

16. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

No, I just reinstalled everything on a new hard drive (in bay 2) and wow is this thing snappy - especially after the SL upgrade!