Early 08 MBP 2.5ghz does not sleep properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agentphish, Nov 30, 2008.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

So I've read plenty about the new MBP's not sleeping properly, but since most of the chatter around here is about those I can't seem to find much about my potential problem. I have had the unit since the end of October. I bought it on fleabay, new in box. It's been great.

My MBP doesn't seem to sleep properly...and seems to have an overactive sleep LED as well.

When I close my lid, the LED comes on, but the fans and HDD are still running. I can hear them. Sometimes it's for 2 minutes, sometimes it's for 10 and sometimes it doesn't ever seem to truly be completely asleep. I don't know if this is normal behavior but it does not seem like it would be.

When I stated about an overactive sleep LED, I experienced a pretty odd thing in that I had shut down the system one day last week because it was not going to sleep properly. I plugged it in and let it charge. I went to work and when I came home the LED was on, but the computer was not at all. I thought that was very odd.

Another thing that happens is that when the comp is on, and the screen turns itself off after 5 minutes, as I have it set to in the power saving preferences, the sleep LED comes on, even though the computer is clearly not sleeping.

I had a powerbook for 4.5 years before this machine and did not experience anything like that. I'm just not sure if the MBP's behave differently.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

What programs are you running?

I used to run Last.FM, and put it to sleep. It used to take a good 10-15 seconds to finally sleep. After quitting it and then sleeping, it went to sleep right away.

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Nothing out of the ordinary. Mail, safari, transmission for some live music downloads...

I never had this issue on my powerbook and am not using any new/different programs I never used before, thats why I'm concerned.

Especially with the sleep light on when the machine was OFF but plugged in charging. That was just goofy.

4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

It's strange, this happened to me a few times as well, and then suddenly stopped happening. Some times, the screen wouldn't even shut off! I would have to manually sleep it by pressing the power button and selecting sleep.

5. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Yeah, even when I did that it still didn't sleep properly.