Early '08 MBP and SSD Raid0 - nonsense ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barmann, Dec 3, 2010.

1. barmann macrumors 6502

My Macbook Pro from early 2008 only has a SATA I connector for the harddrive, limiting its max. speed for SSDs to about 150 MB/s , rather less than that.

Now I have an Optibay clone to replace the DVD drive with a 2nd HDD, which is connected via aSATA/ IDE adapter .

With two SSDs in Raid 0, what max: speed could I expect, considering I'd be pairing one SSD on SATA I with one SSD on the IDE connector ?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Don't expect great speeds, as the IDE controller will be the bottleneck

3. miata macrumors 6502

I recall reading about somebody else doing this and getting some benefit over the non-RAID 0 configuration. The nice thing about RAID 0 is that you can use it to get more capacity from 2 smaller SSD drives.

4. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

This. It won't be a true raid 0 because it is bottlenecked by the IDE interface but you should still see increases in speed because 1. it's an SSD 2. you have RAID 0 with a lower bottleneck.

5. barmann thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your replies , appreciate it.

I'm getting about 110/125 MB/s read/write (AJA test) with a single SSD (OWC 60GB), would it be reasonable to expect a little over 200MB/s for both values in a Raid0 ?

Or maybe I should just put it on ebay and get an unibody ... ;)

6. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Wouldn't hurt to just try it out; if it works, it works - if not, you can go your second route :)

7. miata, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

miata macrumors 6502

BTW, I also have an early 2008 MPB at is 15." Which Optibay clone did you get? (Found the eBay Link in another of your posts.)

I have a pair of TravelStar 320 7200 RPM drives for boot and external mirror. When I get an upgrade in another couple of months I've been considering putting both drives in a the laptop to use as another desktop for the family. I would partition the drives and create a fast and faster RAID 0 group on them. I'm assuming that the bay has the PATA to SATA adapter. Right?

8. barmann thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that's correct, Sata HDD to PATA drive bay adapter .