Early 08 MBP and VM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgsnat75, May 31, 2016.

1. mgsnat75 macrumors member

Hi,

I recently (and cheaply) acquired an early 08 MBP. It is the 17in model with 2.6ghz C2D and 4gb RAM. I also upgraded the HDD to SSD and its night and day difference in speed. Now, I want to run VM of Windows but i am not sure it will run ok with just 4gb of RAM. Would going 6gb or 8gb improve the performance? I am well aware of how old the system is and have heard that 8gb will not work. Has anyone tried it? I am just using this system for basic use. Thanks!

2. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

You can run 6GB of RAM in total. 8GB is not addressable in the early 2008 Penryn Macbook Pros.
    You'll need to run it uneven with a 4GB and 2GB RAM chip. It will be useful however to add the 2GB RAM.

Not as big a deal as the SSD as that makes the machine faster and with the updated OS, runs better than new.

3. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

+1

Mavericks or greater for the benefits of compressed memory.

4. mgsnat75 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice! Now I plan on installing windows 10 64bit. Boot camp on these machines support up to 7 64bit but I did the upgrade and ran windows 10 ok. If I wanted to run parallels, what settings should I keep it at with only 6gb of ram?

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Make sure you keep an eye on the fans in that thing. That generation has one of those prone-to-fail dGPU issues with it. You won't want any fan to die, as that will all but guarantee the fateful dGPU failure.

I'd even buy a couple now if I could, so that I'd have spares on hand. At least a single of each (left and right), because if those are the original fans in it, they will die sooner rather than later.

6. mgsnat75 thread starter macrumors member

Noted. I have a friend who can fix it if that were to happen. I also have a 2007 15in MBP with that issue and he was able to fix it at his buddies shop no problem.