Early 08 MBP: Battery "Replace Soon"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Jan 27, 2010.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

My Early 2008 MBP has seen a lot of use. The battery now says Replace Soon, with 325 cycles on the battery.

Is it dangerous at all to keep this battery? Or is it merely a warning suggesting I replace it because of the remaining life? I'm afraid to leave it plugged in when I'm out of the house!

2. wallace0134 macrumors newbie

It just means that the health, in terms of battery capacity, is below the threshold for still being a "good" battery, and is holding significantly less of a charge than it did when new. As long as you cannot see anything physically wrong with the battery it is safe to use, but it is recommended to get a new one if you want a longer runtime from the battery on one charge. See also: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3782

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I was in the same boat in only 9 months of use. Still am, actually, five months later. I'm lucky to get 90 minutes of life on my 15" early '08 MBP.

I leave mine plugged in all the time. Is that dangerous? I don't think so. I'l replace it as soon as it fails to keep my MBP powered up when disconnected from the adaptor for more than ten minutes.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You'll be fine, your battery will tell you if it's "unsafe".

5. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds good guys. I just wanted to be sure. I was going to hit up the Apple store this weekend to get iWork, so I figured I'd get the battery too.

But maybe now I'll hold off...

6. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

thats way less then the advertised 2000 cycles for that warning why dont you get it replaced? I brought all my messed up batteries in and apple care took care of me. Went in and left with brand new battery in like 2 mins

7. MoTo77 macrumors member

Bah. Mine says "Replace NOW". But it's not getting replaced ever. I'll buy a new MBP as soon as apple releases a decent one.

Just make sure the cord doesn't get kicked out, because the sleep technology is pretty lame and it won't take the batteries condition into account. Your computer will probably just shut off rather than go to sleep at this point.

8. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did bring it in when it said: Service Battery. The genius told me that at around 300 cycles, they consider the battery to be beat. He called mine a "well loved and used" battery.

I didn't know the early 2008's had cycle counts in the 2000 range??? :confused:

9. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Sorry that is actually my mistake. I completely forgot about a unibody macbook pro without the built in battery. Continue on my friend!

10. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

While my battery crapped out in less than a year, it was (barely) over the 300 cycles service limit.

That's why I'm wary of the unibody battery. I wonder how quickly I'd need to replace that puppy. :confused: