early 08 MBP for $1499(CDN), is it worth it? - check specs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w...b, Nov 15, 2008.

1. w...b macrumors regular

MacBook Pro 15" $1499.00
    Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1066MHz frontside bus Display: 15.4-inch widescreen 1440 x 900
    Memory: 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) Hard drive: 200GB Serial ATA, 5400 rpm
    Optical drive: 8x DL (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    Warranty: 1 year limited MB133LL/A

Brand new in box.

2. iphonematt Guest

The Early 2008 MBP does not have a 1066MHz FSB.. so those specs don't seem correct.
    But if it is the early 2008, then $1499 is more than you need to spend.
    Macmall.com has that same model from $1349-1449 so that so about $50-150 more than macmall.com.

3. PostTribber macrumors member

still thinking...

I'd like to get something that can handle Cinema 4D. at least a quad-core. I could go with the 2.83ghz Duo Core 15 inch and hope Snow Leopard will make up the difference. but with Nehalem looming on the horizon I'm hesitant. high end PC Laptops are more expensive than Mac, with no OS that will match Apple in the future. I'm not interested in gaming, just like the idea of having something mobile and that will do the job.

4. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

Im getting the computer from my university bookstore, so i dont have to pay shipping. The computer is actually for my gf, she is trading up from her white Macbook - which she is giving to her brother.

I just want to know if that is a good price, as well as will it last 3 years with snow leopard around the corner.

Also, can someone tell me what type of cord would i need to migrating. Is it a firewire to firewire?

5. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I agree with iphonematt, that generation doesn't have a 1066 FSB.

Also, you should check it out with Apple somehow about the 8600m GT GPU to see if it'll have problems down the road.

6. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

7. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

8. wankey macrumors 6502a

Why are you asking if its a good deal? Of course it's a good deal. It's a smashing deal.

You're getting a macbook pro for about 800 dollars less than the "late 2008" version.

Are you really willing to 800 bucks for a unibody design, a trackpad that is supposedly worse to use than the old one, an arguable worse screen?

FSB from 800 to 1066 is moot, there is very very little difference between the two unless you are doing extremely heavy video rendering or gaming (both of which you should be getting a mac pro or a cheap PC)

Plus, the late 08 version is Rev A, and the early 08 version is best of the best of the old world.

Depends on you but 1499 is huge for a macbook pro. Unless you can find someone who will sell you a macbook pro for cheaper (used).

9. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Haha I go to U of T as well !!

For $1499 it's definitely a great deal.:D

However, I caution buying anything from the UT computer store because if there are any dead pixels etc. they won't allow a return and even if they somehow were really nice and decided to take it back, they'll charge you 15% restocking fee.

They'll tell you to go to Apple instead, but Apple won't give you an exchange since you didn't buy it from them so instead they'll just replace your screen for you etc. Whereas if you bought from Apple, if there is a problem within 14 days you can just get a new one.

That's my only concern with buying from the U of T book store.

You could possibly get an Apple refurb for 1449 and have a better return policy with the possibility that your MBP may come with extras such as more ram

11. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, thanks. Thats the best answer i got so far. So the only problem you can ee i return policy. But apple would change the screen under warranty right?

12. amorican macrumors member

amorican

I got mine from Best Buy, price matched to Micro Center. They have em' for 1399.