Early 08 MBP: New HDTV Connection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Nov 17, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

My old Powerbook had an S-Video output that I used to connect to my TV. Since then I've bought a MBP, and recently I purchased a Samsung PN50B550T2F TV (My first HD... went a little overboard!!!).

I want to connect my MBP to it so that I can watch some online content: Southpark studios.

What's the best way to go about doing this? What kind of cables (audio/video) should I buy?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

what kind of video outputs does that laptop have besides s-video.

A little off topic question i have, are powerbooks and ibooks considered Macs?

3. wesrk macrumors 6502a

check here,
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=792106

if you have any questions maybe you should reply there

4. b01189 macrumors member

To connect your MBP to your new HD tv you will need one of these two connectors,

I.Mini DVI to VGA, if you TV has VGA.
    II.Mini DVI to DVI, again if your tv has this type of input, or you could add another adaptor to the DVI cable and change it over to HDMI to get your 1080P image.

Yes Powerbooks and iBooks are macs they are just the predecessor to the MacBook Pro and MacBook. Most of Apples product line changed its name when they dropped the PowerPC processor and made the transition to Intel, PowerMac became Mac Pro, only computers that did not change name in the processor change are iMac and Mac Mini. Only reason they hadn't changed they don't have Power or PPC resemblance in there names, being that Apple wanted to separate them selves from the old ways of PPC and welcome Intel

Sorry get off topic and all nostalgic ... :eek:

5. pepe8714 macrumors newbie

If you have a macbook pro that is a non unibody then the answer is as simple as can be.

DVI->HDMI

Done

6. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was looking at, but I couldn't tell if this was a DVI output or not...

Does the DVI have audio features too, or will I need to run a separate component audio cable???

7. b01189 macrumors member

No DVI has no audio out put feature... The 3.5mm audio jack out can do both analog and digital by optical out put you just need a jack to access it.
    http://www.mac-access.com/product_p/xtxhd2mt3500.htm