Early 08 MBP Power Adaptor noise???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Oct 19, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I was under my desk today searching for a lost screw to my glasses... While searching around my power adaptor, I noted a little bit of a buzz from it. It's low pitched, but audible 2-3 feet (quiet, but audible). When unplugged from my mac, the buzz disappears and becomes a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. Still, only audible from 2-3 feet away or closer.

Is this normal, or should I bring my adaptor in for a replacement??? It gets warm as it is (which is normal for an AC adaptor), I just want to make sure my house isn't going to be a smoldering pile of ash some day after work!

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

When unplugged from you Mac, it's still plugged into the socket, right? Assuming that that is the case, it might be electrical resistance. That being said, I can't hear any noise from mine. If you are concerned, I would suggest getting a new one to allay you fears. :)

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Mine (early 08 too) recently started making noise. It is somewhat common for this type of power supply, and there isn't much space inside for more filtering to reduce any noise.

It is safe to keep using it, but if it bothers you, you could try to get a new one from Apple under warranty. I wouldn't buy a new one, though.