Early 08 MBP whining and hissing with headphones

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dontdothat317, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Dontdothat317 macrumors member

when i plug headphones in, i hear whining and hissing. When I searched this on the forums, I find a few topics about processor whining, is that the problem I'm experiencing?

Is there a solution to this issue? possibly purchasing a usb --> 3.5mm adaptor?

Any help is appreciated :( ive only had this laptop for a week and its already driving me crazy. I have applecare, would going in to see a "genius" be of any use?

2. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Your machine is so new, take it back. You have a 14 day return period I believe, so if they won't work with you, you can return it. But Apple is usually very good about helping you out anyways. Demonstrate the issue to a genius and they'll take care of you.

3. Dontdothat317 thread starter macrumors member

Is this a common issue? when i googled it, i found a huge thread in the official apple forums about the problem and a ton of people were reporting the same thing... but no one reported a working solution. I was wondering if one has ever been found. I guess I will just go in and see a genius and see what they say.. i really dont want to haggle with a usb --> 3.5mm adaptor every time i want to use headphones =(

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

You can take it back and have a replacement :)

5. Dontdothat317 thread starter macrumors member

I'll see what they say... and ill report back if i can find a solution to the problem. Do the new glassbook pros exhibit this defect as well?

Although an interesting thing to note.. my homebuilt PC is an intel Q9450, which is like a quad core version of the chips that are in these mbps.. and i also hear a whining (its way worse on my PC) when i plug headphones into the front port of the case, but not the back. I wonder if it is related to the processor architecture?

6. rising j macrumors member

I have the same issue on my MBP that I purchased in July. The sound is hard to notice with stock iphone earbuds, but it is very obvious when I have my Sure SE210 earbuds, which by design sits closer to your ear canal and seals of ambient noise. Drives me nuts, I haven't found a solution to this. The noise is present regardless if I am playing any audio....

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This is a well researched, common, well documented issue that gets brought up pretty much every other day-but it looks like you've done some research already so i'll leave you alone :D

Its doing this because of an issue with the processores, like you've described . This won't occur when there is sufficient cpu utilization, during audio playback, and won't show up at all when using optical.

All 1st Rev (non unibody) MBP's will suffer from this. No point in taking it back.

8. rising j macrumors member

I hear this sound just with the earbuds plugged in, whether or not there is audio playback. Does this case fall into the typical MBP noise issues or do I have something a little bit more unique?