Early '09 MBPs - plagued with SATA issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KettyKrueger, Sep 5, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All,

To cut a long story short, I'n on my 4th June '09 MBP. Those darn SATA issues have caused freezing and beachballing on each of the MBPs.

I'm taking it back to Apple today for a full refund. I'm convinced this generation of MPS are all affected and I'm staying well clear.

I've been looking on the Refrub Store and this seems to fit my needs but will it also have the SATA issues?

Also, is there anything about this notebook/generation that I should be aware of? I want this to be the last MBP!!! (well, at least for a couple of years).

Is there much difference between the Jan 09 model and the June 09 17" model? From what I can gather, not much...

Thanks in advance.

2. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Anyone got any thoughts? Hoping to pull the trigger on this pup asap.

3. glavoie84 macrumors regular

Seems more like a random chipset problem with SATA II enabled... Some people reported problems even with EFI 1.6 (SATA I) and also a few reported that their problems were solved after a logic board replacement, with EFI 1.7 pre-installed. My 13" MBP purchased the day after they were released runs like a breeze with no freeze/beachballs with EFI 1.7 and an Intel 80GB X25-M SSD (1st gen).

4. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Cheers for that. Is that true of the early '09 MBPs? I thought the SATA/EFI problems were only with the June 09 MBPs?