early '11 macbook pro vs early 2011 iMac - a question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icibaqu, Dec 15, 2014.

1. icibaqu macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I have a 2009 iMac that is outfitted w/ 8GB RAM and a 2TB drive that i bought refurbed and runs Yosemite pretty well. Generally I'm satisfied.

But I just inherited an early 11 macbook pro with a HD that is about to die. (i tried to do a clean install and the drive is so broken, it won't let me. It only takes you to the startup menu's where you can use limited safari). Plucking around i noticed that it would support up to 16GB of RAM and also a 1TB Fusion drive. Basically $200 and you get a new laptop. Just before getting this laptop, i got an Air, so I don't need it for the mobility.

My question, then, is basically whether for 1. longevity, 2. speed, 3. upgradability, where i would end up upgrading the macbook pro is far and away better than my current iMac.

My wife likes using a desktop, so, the Macbook might live a life mostly folded up, connected to a monitor and external keyboard and mouse. So, I would sort of be getting a tower.

Thanks for any responses.

2. Xace macrumors newbie

If the macbook pro 2011 is a 15 or 17 inch don't even think about it.

These models suffer from a design defect that makes them fail prematurely.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Both 2011 iMacs and MacBook Pros suffer from the Radeongate debacle.

I'd stay away from any of the Sandy Bridge Macs.

4. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

I agree with you on that.

5. icibaqu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting me know to clarify. It is a early 2011 13 inch macbook pro.

6. icibaqu thread starter macrumors newbie

Not being familiar with "redeongate", I did some googling and presuming the computer has a possible GPU issue, it looks like the problem has a solution of having someone put more & different cooling covering on the radeon chip. From the brief forum click around i did, it appeared that people stopped having issues once doing that fix.

So, if so, doing that and the drive/RAM upgrades puts me at a $4-500 repair job. Would you still recommend avoidance?

7. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

You're fine then. The 13" models have the integrated HD 3000 graphics only, not the Radeon GPU. They are not susceptible to the failures the 15" and 17" models are.