Early 2006 iMac Upgrade(s)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drccw, Oct 1, 2012.

1. drccw macrumors newbie

Long time reader first time poster...
    Couple of questions....

My early 2006 iMac has given up the ghost... the HD has the click of death...

It's not a daily user; primarily an archiver of photos/videos on externals..so really runs only lightroom...

I've already got a spare 1TB Sata drive but it got me thinking.. if i'm going to crack the thing open....

T7600 is my best option for upgrading the CPU right? I see them about 90 bucks on ebay... why not right?

Should I look at a PCI-E 802.11N card on ebay as well?

What else- it's maxed out at 2 GBs... upgrading the CPU does not remove that limit right?

thanks for help!

drccw

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I don't think it's really worth it to upgrade a 6 year old Mac at this point for the minimal boost in speed that will result. I would put the money towards a current Mac Mini which would be a huge speed boost.

3. drccw thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the upgrade will just run me 90-120. Much less than a new Mac mini. I am fine with the speed of the old iMac. I was just thinking that if I am going to open the case might as well do a couple other cheap upgrades.

Drccw

4. drccw thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I cracked open my iMac.

Took out the old dead 250 Gb hard drive and replaced it with a 2 Tb drive that I has bought for something else but wasn't using. Cost to me; $0 cause I had already spent the money.

T7600 upgrade: $88.50

New AirPort Extreme card: 9.50

Screw driver set: $17

Efi 4,1 to 5,1 update

2 2gb sodimms I had laying around : $0

Given that I found the old iMac usable I feel I've gained a significant upgrade for less than $125.

One thing though is that the AirPort Extreme card I bought is capable of -N but only seems to connect at -G speeds. It does see -N networks fine. Any suggestions? Did I need a second attenna?

Cracking open the iMac was very very time consuming. All the upgrades took me about 2.5 hours. But I took it super slow and followed the excellent I fixit guides.

Drccw