Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmyjoemccrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
The fans on my white Macbook seem to be constantly running faster than they should since 10.6.6. I only use this Macbook for surfing the web and before 10.6.6 the only thing that would cause it to heat up was streaming video. Now as soon as I launch Safari the temperature rises to 60 degrees and the fans go up to 3000 RPM. This is not molten of course but it is audible. I should add that if I use a different browser (Opera 11) the temperature stays lower and fans spin less (53 degrees and 2500RPM).

When 10.6.6 was released it caused my Macbook to slow down and have a lot of beachballs. I took the opportunity to upgrade the hard drive to a 7200RPM one when I did a re-install. I didn't think this could cause the CPU to run hotter but maybe someone out there knows something I don't?

Is the likely cause the 10.6.6 update or the hard drive? I've reset the PRAM and SMC already with no change. Activity Monitor shows no unusual CPU usage or rogue programs.

Specs are

1.83 GHz Core Duo
2GB RAM
160GB WD 7200 RPM hard drive
Intel 950 graphics.

Last edited:

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I can't think of a hardware confifuration that would work better unless you wanted to take the plunge for an SSD which run cooler. Your RAM is maxed out and limits your ability to have several applications open at once.

How is your ventilation? Are you using closed clamshell mode? Do you work on a hard surface? Elevated? Is there any blockage at the hinge vents?

jimmyjoemccrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Using it on my lap but that never used to cause heat. Vents are well ventilated though, no blockage.

jimmyjoemccrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
This is really annoying now. The fans themselves were bad enough, now it has developed another slight whirr as if the fan is hitting something.

Anyone any idea what could be causing the Macbook to heat up while I am web surfing? It's not Flash as I have that turned off in Opera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.