Early 2006 MB logic board is dead, replacement/repair advice needed PLEASE!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dontlosetouch, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dontlosetouch macrumors member

As stated in the advice thread as well

Got a 1.83ghz MB from early 2006 thats logic board has died and out of warranty etc. Part number for MB is MA254B/A

I've tried looking on eBay but boards like this one won't work will they? http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?emvAD=320x356&aid=260733888405&emvcc=0

If it carries on like this where's the best place in the UK that I can get it repaired for an affordable price?

Ta

2. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That board should work fine, as it is for the same model family, you would just end up with a faster CPU.

4. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Well where can I get a board that'll work with it? Can't afford to be splashing out £800 for a new one

5. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

That board will fit fine in your MacBook and will be a useful upgrade.

Energystar boards use a slightly different battery to logicboard connector to the one you have at the moment. You should be able to find one for £5-10 or so on eBay. The only other thing to check is whether the heatsink connectors are the same as your MacBook - the early Core Duos had 2 vertical connectors (also called 4 wall) some of the later Core Duo's had the same heatsink connectors as the Core 2 models (horizontal or 3 wall). You will need a heatsink with horizontal/3 wall connectors for this new board - you may have them already..

7. dontlosetouch, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

That second link is OK? Excellent.

With battery connectors I assume most on eBay are fine? Just looking now none of them really say much about energy star/non energy star

Looking at my heatsink it's all metal so 4 wall I think

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Logicboard is fine - just watch out for possible VAT and Customs clearance when it arrives (!!)

The battery connector for the energystar is this one http://cgi.ebay.com/MACBOOK-13-BATTERY-CONNECTOR-ENERGY-STAR-820-2290-A-/160452609986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255bb887c2

It is the heatsink connectors that are different - this is the heatsink/fan you need - http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-MacBook-A1181-HeatSink-Fan-w-4-wall-Connectors-/290502342735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a349f84f The connections to the logicboard are flat - the ones on your heatsink may well be the older vertical style that look like a smaller version of the fan connector - you should be able to see clearly if you enlarge the photo on the listing.

Other than those 2 parts everything else will be fine. Don't forget the thermal paste on the heatsink !!!

9. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Hmm. Looking at that the heatsink and fan might be OK, if they fit the new one they're OK I assume?

10. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Actually it looks like a 4 wall, fan looks fine mind

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Just to really confuse you - that Laptopaid heatsink that is described as 4 wall connector - the photo shows horizontal connections (ie 3 wall) !!!

You will need horizontal connections for the Core 2 board you are thinking of buying.

You can check your heatsink connectors easy enough - they will either look like a small version of the fan connector and just prise up from the logicboard the same way the fan does (thats 4 wall vertical) - or else the connectors lie flat with the logicboard and you will have to prise them out with a small screwdriver (3 wall - horizontal)

The later Core Duo MacBooks (July/August) often are fitted with 3 wall connectors. Earlier ones are all 4 wall.

12. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Mine was bought in October 2006.

Ta for the help, much appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.