early 2007 24" imac external display problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chrisjordan2008, Jul 15, 2011.

1. chrisjordan2008 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody, need some advice/diagnosis on an intermittent problem i have with my early 2007 24" white imac.

I've had no problems until about 6 weeks ago when my external display (an LG Flatron W1954TQ) began to display everything with a Pink/magenta-ry tint over it (as if i'd held a piece of coloured film over the screen) intermittently. It kind of flickered on and off again at random moments, after about 5 days of this it stopped and for about 4 weeks only very seldom returned and only for 5 mins at a time.

After a couple of weeks of normal behaviour today the screen decided to turn yellow and random moments, this can't be good right?

I've tried the external display with my macbook pro (2010) and it appears to work fine and other than the coloured tint at random moments the display is showing everything sharp and perfect. Neither my imac or the external screen has been moved/dropped/bumped at all in the last year and the connection cable hasn't been removed (other than to check none of the pins were bent when this started)

any ideas kind people? :)

many thanks in advance!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

What kind of connection is it? VGA? This is what happens when a VGA cable is only partially connected. Make sure it's connected properly at both ends. Try another VGA cable. Try another adapter.

3. chrisjordan2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi! thanks for the advice, will get checking those cables :)

4. chrisjordan2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

so after a period of no problems at all (after i checked, swapped, replaced cables and adaptors, etc) the second screen stopped changing colour and decided to flicker on and off and now says it isn't receiving a signal at all...

oh well :(