(Early 2007 Macbook) NEED HELP!! Is it time to let go and get a new Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jimmy.mcarthur, Apr 14, 2011.

  1. jimmy.mcarthur macrumors newbie

    Apr 14, 2011
    G'day all,

    Over the last month or 2 my Macbook of a little over 4 years old has been experiencing some problems and I want some opinions on whether it is time to move on to a new Model.

    My laptop is used for university work which mostly consists of typing documents and so on. I do a fair bit of video editing and short film making (which is now not possible as it can't even handle iMovie, even with every other program closed) and I also use it for browsing the web, iTunes and every now and then a bit of Photoshoping as i also am a hobbie photographer.

    Specs: Early 2007 Macbook running Snow Leopard
    2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    3GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    320GB HDD

    1st issue: Screen Spasm

    2 maybe 3 times a week I'll be in the middle of something and this screen will appear accompanied by a flickering noise and the only way of stopping is to hold and shutdown the computer. Any ideas??

    2nd Issue: Freeze

    The computer will freeze just like any other would and if music is on at the time the sound sounds like when your CD's skip except it doesnt stop until you shutdown. This has been occuring once or twice a week for the last month or so.

    3rd issue: Sound fuzzy

    Every so often i'll be listning to music or watching YouTube and the sound will skip a few times then go all fuzzy and static, there is however a reasonably quick solution to this....pause whatever ur listning/watching, leave the computer for a minute and then resume, usually works.

    My big question is what will it take to fix these issues and at what cost? Is it worth the expense or will i be needing to fork out money for a new computer soon down the track either way? If i can fix these problems will I be able to continue my video making/editing or is that something that will not be possible on this laptop from this point?

    Would really appreciate some assistance/advise?

    Thanks for reading!
  2. Legion93 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 6, 2011
    Death Star, Rishi Maze
    Your best bet is to buy a new MBP, that may sound simple but since you have a variety of different issues, I don't think you will benefit from the repair costs for each specific issue. On top of this, since its warranty has expired, you will need to pay for all repair costs, including hardware, parts and even delivery fees.

    Just get a quote from Apple to see how much they will charge you for the repair (obviously this means the laptop will have to be sent to Apple repair warehouse - they don't carry hardware changes in-store). If you see that it will cost a heck-load of cash, it's best to buy a new MBP, or even a 13" Air.
  3. v5point0 macrumors member


    Sep 13, 2010
    I had the same screen glitch issue with my Late 2007 Black model w/ 4GB RAM, sent in to Apple in mid 08 and they replaced the logic board when it was under warranty, I use to see it again afterwards but never since the software updates which improve the graphic performance throughout 10.5.x

    Check these out before you think of purchasing a new machine:

    Apple Hardware Test
    Run a fresh install on an external and see if you come across the same issues

    You can then isolate if the issue is hardware or software.
  4. tersono macrumors 68000


    Jan 18, 2005
    Talk to Apple. This looks like the infamous Nvidia 8600M issue and may still be covered under Apple's replacement scheme (I actually got a brand new MBP out of them about 6 months out of warranty).

    Make an appointment at your local genius bar and see what they say.
  5. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

    Jun 21, 2007
    Balham, London
    The 8600M only appeared in the Macbook Pro and I believe only the 08 model. The OP says his computer is a Macbook and from early 2007 so will be using the Intel 950 integrated graphics.
  6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Mar 31, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Unfortunately i would go ahead and say to see if you could get a new macbook. Of course you should bring it to an Apple store and see how much it would be to get them to fix it... if it isn't too much I'd get it fixed but... the MBPs are really nice.
  7. jimmy.mcarthur thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks for all your responses, I've tried some of your remadies and all is not looking good. Taking it to Apple tomorrow to get a quote but either way I think it is probably time to let go...

    James McArthur
    13" Early 2007 MacBook 2Gz / iPhone 4 32GB

Share This Page